New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Corrupted copy of Windows 7

Can i safely put a 64 bit copy of Windows 7 onto a 32 bit existing, but corrupted copy of Windows 7. HP/ Lenovo machines

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi and welcome to the Lounge,

Answering your question, it really depends on what you mean by safely. Going from 32 bit to 64, means you will have to perform a clean installation of Windows, with the need to reinstall all current programs again.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    You might have success repair installing Windows 7 with a 32 bit copy.
    But you will only be able to clean install the 64 bit operating system, NOT repair a 32 bit OS from it.
    You can clean install a 64 bit copy provided you have a product key for the operating system, your original 32 bit key won't do it.

Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River
    Win7′s no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall
    Burn ISO to bootable DVD windows 7
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

If you choose the above route I highly suggest you plan it out.
    You will need to download and safe-keep ALL of your HP or Lenovo drivers and other applications.

A start-to-finish, step-by-step guide to properly clean installing Windows 7, by TweakHound
    (The best clean install how-to article on the planet)
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-01-19 at 14:00.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhuyghue View Post
    Can i safely put a 64 bit copy of Windows 7 onto a 32 bit existing, but corrupted copy of Windows 7. HP/ Lenovo machines
    Does your computer have 64-bit-capable processor ? If yes you can safely install 64 bit Windows copy on your computer. If the processor is 32 bit capable only, you cannot install 64 bit Windows version. If your processor is 64 bit capable, you can upgrade to 64 bit Windows version but you have to reinstall the programs again.
    Last edited by colex; 2014-02-24 at 09:52.