New Lounger
    Thanks

Stuck in windows 8.1 boot loop

I have searched this everywhere and I've seen similar problems but nothing has worked yet.

Here is what happened.

I had Windows 8 Pro working fine and everything, one day it asked me to upgrade to windows 8.1 through the windows store so I did.

I had been using 8.1 for a few days and decided to turn off my desktop for the first time since I was leaving for the weekend. I normally let it sleep when I'm not using it.

Well when I can back and booted my PC it showed "Preparing Automatic Repair screen"

I am now stuck in this loop, I have not used my desktop in weeks.

"Refresh your PC" Does not work
    "Reset your PC" - requires installation disc or media which I obviously don't have. (I use all digital upgrades.)
    Advanced options
    ---System Restore- no restore point was created by windows 8.1
    ---System image recovery- once again not created by windows 8.1
    ---Startup Repair- does not work
    ---Command Prompt-...Haven't used it.
    ---Startup Settings- Does nothing and brings me back to this loop.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

I would not mind using an iso on a flash drive and putting it in my desktop but I cannot restore as I need files from this desktop.
    I also have no clue where to get an iso of win 8.1 or know anyone with 8.1 to make my usb a recovery drive. I do not have a product key for 8.1 none was given to me...

Thanks for your help!

Merry Christmas!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Can you use Advanced Options to boot into Safe mode? You can then use that to save your documents or whatever else you need to save.
    If this doesn't work, I would suggest getting a free image app (Macrium Reflect Free would be my suggestion), create a Rescue disc and use it to boot your system and create a full image of your current. This requires an external drive and the purpose is to have your image available for you to recover whatever you want, later.

How to recover from this? Probably the only way would be a Windows reinstall and for that you would need the media. Maybe this can help you get an ISO do do it: http://www.neowin.net/news/here-is-h...-install-stick
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-12-25 at 13:14.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2013-12-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Can you use Advanced Options to boot into Safe mode? You can then use that to save your documents or whatever else you need to save.
    If this doesn't work, I would suggest getting a free image app (Macrium Reflect Free would be my suggestion), create a Rescue disc and use it to boot your system and create a full image of your current. This requires an external drive and the purpose is to have your image available for you to recover whatever you want, later.

How to recover from this? Probably the only way would be a Windows reinstall and for that you would need the media. Maybe this can help you get an ISO do do it: http://www.neowin.net/news/here-is-h...-install-stick
    I think I remembered where I purchased Windows 8, however getting the key from my old university will be a pain in and of itself. I will be emailing them shortly to try to obtain that information. Thank you.

Also, @ Jerry. I tried your way in the command prompt, it does not recognize the commands. I also cannot boot into safe mode. Windows 8.1 has really messed my computer up big time....

Thanks for your help guys!

Thanks
    Which command does it not recognize? Are you sure you migrated to the C:\windows\system32\config directory before executing the ren command? The current path should be shown in the command prompt window.

Try changing the first command to :
    cd c:\windows\system32\config

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Which command does it not recognize? Are you sure you migrated to the C:\windows\system32\config directory before executing the ren command? The current path should be shown in the command prompt window.

Try changing the first command to :
    cd c:\windows\system32\config

Jerry

So sorry for the very late response. Whenever I type any commands it says "The system cannot find the path specified"

Also I now have a windows 8.1 bootable disc, is there any way this can help me??
    Last edited by Mag1c; 2014-02-09 at 20:10.