New Lounger
    Thanks

Installing device drivers: Stuck in loop

I have a Dell Hybrid running Vista

When I start it up it loads device drivers, but then continues to unload and reload device drivers with no end, giving the usual two-tone audible signal each time.

If I go into Device Manager there are additional "unknown" devices loaded, and the screen refreshes every few seconds, whenever there is a load or unload.

If I click on the third USB Root Hub (under Universal Serial Bus controllers) and unload it, the problem is resolved.

However, whenever I subsequently plug in or unplug a USB device the problem starts again.

It happens even if I have no USB devices plugged in, so is not caused by any external hardware, and I have tried cleaning the USB sockets.

Any advice gratefully received

Thank you

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    A few things to look at:

Go back into Device Manager and "uninstall" the device that is causing the install. That should take care of the annoyance temporarily.
    Check with Dell for updated USB and or chipset drivers.
    Run the sfc /scannow command to be on the cautious side.
    It also looks like you are in need of drivers for other devices too. Try to figure out what those devices are.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Super Moderator, it appears to be fixed

I ran scannow and it claimed to have found several problems and fixed some of them

on rebooting, the unload/reload did not occur, nor when I plugged in a new USB device

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
    Thank you, Super Moderator, it appears to be fixed
    spoke too soon :-(

problem returned after ten minutes - better than before, when it always appeared on start-up, but will have to try something else to fix it

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There are a couple of MS Fixits that you could try, but does Event Viewer record these events ?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...th-usb-devices

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/ha...evice_problems

New Lounger
    Thanks

USB driver unload/reload loop

Thank you

I ran both FixIts and they each found two errors, but only the 6TO4 and isatap network adaptors that always appear as problems in Vista and Microsoft hasn't bothered to address. Needless to say, running the FixIt solutions did nothing to fix these errors.

Never having used Event Log, I am not sure what I am looking for. I have opened it, and there are thousands of entries - roughly what section might I find USB driver unloads/reloads?

Would it be easier to clear the log (I haven't found out how to do that) and see where events start to stack up?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Under Custom View/Admin Events, look for events with a time date to when the problem occurred or you could make a note of the time then plug/unplug an USB and then go into Event Viewer.

When you click on the event, details will appear in the lower pane and clicking on the blue Event Log Online Help may take you to a MS page for that error or if not found, you will be prompted to enter the Event ID number which will give a number of links relating to similar errors where you will need to ID which is for yours.

Expanding Application and Service Logs gives a section for Hardware which may report events.

I don't have any listed in mine to give as an example because everything is AOK.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you

No, I have only one error appearing today - a WMI error at start up (which the Microsoft site says I can ignore)

Nothing was recorded at the time it got into the loop today

Oddly, though, I currently cannot trigger it to get into the loop again, so I think some of the kind suggestions above have partially helped

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's strange that nothing was recorded but let's hope that you've seen the last of the loop

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes.

Thank you all for your help.

I shall take a look at Event Log if the loop kicks in again.