New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 Pro Upgrade Will Not Download

I am running Windows 8 Pro With Media Center 64 bit. I initially bought a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit HP All-In-One and upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro/Media Center via the Microsoft Special Offer ($14.95 I believe). Runs fine. Have done all the updates. When I tried to upgrade to Win 8.1 Pro via the Microsoft Store, the download proceeds very slowly and will ultimately stop and start over. Usually gets to about 50% download (in 3 to 4 hours __ I can't just sit there and wait for something to happen), so don't know exactly). I have stopped all anti-virus programs. I have disconnected all external devices. CD/DVD drive is empty. I restored a 2 day old image of my C: Drive and the same thing happens again. I was at the point of just buying a new Windows 8.1 Pro disk but you can't get an applicable one unless you are upgrading from Windows 7. Only way to get to 8.1 from 8.0 is to upgrade from The Store. I forgot to mention that my download speed is ca 25Mbps as measured by several speed tests. Upload is 11 Mbps and Ping is 10 or so. When trying to upgrade, Store showed I have 13 apps pr programs that needed updating so I updated the. This updating process went very smoothly and quickly while the 8.1 uploading was gong very slowly.

Any suggestions?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There have been several articles on various websites which show the procedure to obtain an ISO file of Win 8.1 which you can then burn to DVD and install it. It is a bit convoluted but I have done it. I haven't used it because I am not sure about Win 8.1. It seems to have more compatibility issues than Win 8.0

I don't think these contain Media Center, though.

The Store update is slow even when it does work.

Thanks
    Are you using a wireless or wired connection? I know with my wireless connection, upgrading my Samsung laptop from 8 to 8.1 took an hour and half to download and install.

Thanks
    My internet connection is about 2/3 the speed of yours, and it took many hours for 8.1 to download and install. I started it about an hour before going to bed; it was finished when I woke up.