Thanks

Interesting ad in my email from hp

Got this email today. This is just an image - no live links. Windows 8 popularity?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't you just love a good operating system? Saw same ad yesterday in my mailbox and of course shared it with my computer friends. However, I do like Windows 8 and have been playing/using it since the beta versions first showed. While I'm at it, thanks bbearren for all your contributions - always look forward to your posts.

Rich

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Without Windows 8 it would not have become abundantly clear as to what NOT to do, so if the lessons are learned, I can like Windows 8 for that!
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    I'm also using 8, now that I've 7-ised it with StartIsBack and carved it up and re-arranged it to suit my needs. For me, it's Windows 7 Service Pack 2. I haven't abandoned Windows 7, though. I dual boot, use 7 frequently, and keep it current on Windows Updates.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Like Bbearren, I don't find a thing wrong with Win 8.0/1 once I ditched the start screen with StartIsBack also. It's snappy, reliable, and by all accounts, I've seen, more secure. I still have 7 HP on my backup machine and Laptop since I only purchased one Upgrade, wish I'd gotten 2 more now. I've yet to find an app that I need or want that won't run on it. Count me one happy camper. Just for the record I actually like the Secure Boot feature also as just another arrow in my security quiver! I can, however, do without the windows store,Modern UI Apps, and windows account login ... and DO! YMMV.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Mine was only installed in VM so I saw none of the snap and all of the bloat for which I have almost zero use. If we were neighbors you would have the opportunity to purchase a license at introductory upgrade cost.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    When did HP stop selling Windows 7 PCs in order to bring them back? Hint: NEVER.

See HP bringing back Windows 7 PCs? Not so fast... for commentary by Ed Bott.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well of course not, who doesn't see marketing hype when they see it these days? The only thing that would be interesting to know is if the big OEMs were asking or putting pressure on MS to keep selling them consumer OEM W7 licences on the QT. There was some confusion between ending retail sales and OEM license sales though so I don't know where that stands right now; to be determined last I heard on the later.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The OEMs have always known the sales lifecycle of Windows 7. The only confusion has been by the breathless tech press which needs something to hype. Read the linked article.

Joe

Thanks
    Microsoft says that October 2014 date was "published in error". This article has more. Corporate America doesn't seem to want to be pushed into Windows 8 quite yet.

Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    A not so subtle admission that enterprises work on their own upgrade schedules which are much slower and longer than the old Microsoft release schedule not to mention the faster cadence that is in place now. There is no way Microsoft desires to or is going to upset the enterprise apple cart.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A lot of companies were just starting their transition to Windows 7 when Windows 8 came out. I suspect windows 7 may have a longer life than expected.
    Joe