Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

How to uninstall MS Security Essentials? Cannot upgrade or uninstall.

When MS Update had an update for MS Security Essentials, I could not update or uninstall the old version. Tried MS Community and got no help. The uninstall program attempts to find a file and it fails. Revo Uninstaller does not recognize MSE.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Jim,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

What Version of Windows (XP, Vista, 7) are you using and what bitness is it (32 or 64)?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried that with the MS Community Forum. The end result was that I could not re-install MSE. I had to restore my system to a date prior to the attempt to remove and re-install MSE. I am able to update the definitions and my fear is that at some point I will not be able to update. Just looking to keep MSE long term. Thanks for the quick reply.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Revere Jim View Post
    I tried that with the MS Community Forum. The end result was that I could not re-install MSE. I had to restore my system to a date prior to the attempt to remove and re-install MSE. I am able to update the definitions and my fear is that at some point I will not be able to update. Just looking to keep MSE long term. Thanks for the quick reply.
    You used the Fix it to delete all MSE registry keys?

You said you got no help at MS Community.

What MSE version are you using?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I used the "Fix It" and the manual methods. I did get help from the MS Community but not a resolution. My MSE version is: 4.3.215.0. My old computer running Win 7 Pro 64 bit has the updated version 4.4.304.0. I had tried copying the file the uninstall/install program was looking for from my old computer and that didn't work. The file that appears to be the problem is C:/Programs/MS Security Client/Backup/amd64/epp.msi. The odd part of the problem is that MSE install/uninstall program was looking for that file in my F drive which is an external backup drive. That drive was a replacement for one that had failed and the information was not there. The MS uninstall program in Control Panel shows version 4.2.223.1!!
    Last edited by Revere Jim; 2014-01-16 at 14:30. Reason: add Control Panel version

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A couple of alternative methods are detailed here: Uninstalling MSE

Bruce

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Revere Jim (2014-01-16)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The reason Revo didn't list MSE is because the free version doesn't recognize 64 bit programs.

I use IObit Uninstaller which will remove MSE for you, but the best way to remove programs that run in the background is to do it in Safe Mode.

IObit's download site is CNet which has had some problems of late, but I've just re-downloaded it and my Norton 360 reported it as safe.

Download IObit in Safe Mode with Networking and then try the reinstall of MSE while you are still in that mode.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Revere Jim (2014-01-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your posts. Might try the Obit Uninstaller. After the install I could use Ccleaner to hopefully get rid of any traces and then try to re-install.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    IObit has two levels of uninstall, Standard and Advanced.

When the uninstall begins, clicking the Advanced radio button will enable the Deep Scan option after it has used Windows own uninstaller and that will remove any residue bar perhaps the odd empty folder which negates the need of a registry cleaner.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Revere Jim (2014-01-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If IObit uses Windows uninstaller, won't that fail like the uninstalls have failed for me in the past trying to use the Windows uninstaller? The only consolation is that when Windows fails, it does not remove anything and the program will continue to work. The use of the manual uninstall and failing to uninstall everything causes the inability to re-install or uninstall the remaining components. I have not tried the batch program, but I think it would cause the same result if it failed.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Revere Jim View Post
    If IObit uses Windows uninstaller, won't that fail like the uninstalls have failed for me in the past trying to use the Windows uninstaller? The only consolation is that when Windows fails, it does not remove anything and the program will continue to work. The use of the manual uninstall and failing to uninstall everything causes the inability to re-install or uninstall the remaining components. I have not tried the batch program, but I think it would cause the same result if it failed.
    Have you tried either Windows uninstaller or IObit in Safe Mode yet ?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Revere Jim (2014-01-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No. But I will try lObit.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just finished installing the free Comcast Norton Security Suite. Why? The uninstall of MSE in Safe mode did not work. First thing that happened was a window opened stating that I could not install MSE in Safe mode. I closed that and the uninstall window was there and I checked create a backup. When the uninstall completed, I restarted the computer and tried to install MSE. This download from MS tried to make me install AVG and the AVG tool bar. I unchecked and clicked on ACCEPT. Then I was forced to install SmartPCFix and MyPCBackup. with no option to decline. It did state that I could uninstall them later. The install then failed and stated that the previous version was reinstalled. I restarted my computer and looked for MSE. It was not in the start-up list or anywhere else. I also had a AVG search bar as my home page! Now I am moving on without MSE. Going to set up my Norton. Used to be a long time user of Norton until it got too resource hungry. Thanks to all for the assistance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast