Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I eliminate Java update reminders?

Following the Secrets article: "Security alert: Remove Java from your browsers
    By Woody Leonhard on January 24, 2013", about a year ago I went to the Java Control Panel, Security Tab and removed the checkmark from "Enable Java content on this browser" on my Windows 7 Pro SP1 laptop. Worked great.

But I continue to get the pesky Update notices from Java. Even clicking on an option on the notices to not display the notice doesn't stop them from coming every day.

How do I eliminate these update notices completely so I don't get them again? If I decide to ever use/update Java again, I can always go to their website.

Thanks,

Harry

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Unchecking "Enable Java content on this browser" only stops Java from working in your browser. Java is still working with Windows programs. Therefore, I recommend that you keep up with the Java updates.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    mrjimhelps, that's an excellent point

But since the OP doesn't want Java the following thought came to my mind
    --- Uninstall Java in control panel instead of only unchecking enable java content on this browser
    --- Check startups & uncheck anything Java
    --- Restart the computer
    --- Keep in mind that if Java is needed depending on what you are doing, then Java will need to be installed and updates kept up

Thanks
    If you want to eliminate the Java update messages, run MSConfig.exe, click on the Startup tab and uncheck the box next to Java AutoUpdate.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    mrjimhelps, that's an excellent point

But since the OP doesn't want Java the following thought came to my mind
    --- Uninstall Java in control panel instead of only unchecking enable java content on this browser
    --- Check startups & uncheck anything Java
    --- Restart the computer
    --- Keep in mind that if Java is needed depending on what you are doing, then Java will need to be installed and updates kept up
    I wanted to clarify for the OP that disabling Java in the browser doesn't entirely remove Java from the computer. I read the referenced article by Woody Leonhard, and in it Woody clearly stated that you should install the latest version of Java in Windows, and then disable it in the browser. Since the OP was basing his decision on what Woody recommended, I wanted to clarify what Woody actually said.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys, for all your help. Mr. Leonhard did indeed say to install the latest version first before disabling (which I did). But the Oracle help page on the subject said the same thing, so I assumed that somehow the latest version and the disabling were related.

As Jerry suggested, I ran msconfig.exe, and unchecked Java Auto update. Several months ago I had used Startup Cop Pro to disable Java Update Scheduler, but obviously that did not do it.

BTW, I've never been called an 'OP' before. Is that good or bad?

Harry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hmw View Post

BTW, I've never been called an 'OP' before. Is that good or bad?

Harry
    Nothing to worry about, it's short for Original Poster ie the person who started the thread.

Thanks
    Did you look on the Java Control Panel and look on the Update tab, there should be a box that you can uncheck that says Check for Updates Automatically. That should hopefully stop the update notices that you are seeing.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamS View Post
    Did you look on the Java Control Panel and look on the Update tab, there should be a box that you can uncheck that says Check for Updates Automatically. That should hopefully stop the update notices that you are seeing.
    Did that several days before I posted my original message here. That did not stop the update notices from coming.

It re-reading my post, that step was not very clear.

Harry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

PamS (2014-01-25)