Lounger
    Thanks

Which Sata to use

Dell Insperion 660
    And will be adding a new SSD. I thought the new SSD and old HDD had to be plugged into a Sata 3 port.
    Looked in my manuel and ther is only one Sata 3. But I do have a Sata 0, 2, & 4

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Are you talking about port numbers or SATA standard versions? The latest version is 3.2, so I don't see how you can have version 4. Anyway, your SSD should be connected to the fastest interface available, in order to talk full advantage of its performance.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    You're simply confusing the SATA type with the numbering of your SATA ports (port numbers).

Fit the drive onto the lowest number available (and remember it - you'll need to select it during clone/Windows install!); to install Windows (or clone the old HDD), you'll then need to enter the BIOS/UEFI and set the DVD drive (or cloning disc/USB drive) to the first device in the boot order.

Once installed/cloned, shut down and swap the SSD for the original drive and then set the SSD as boot device in the BIOS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    You're simply confusing the SATA type with the numbering of your SATA ports (port numbers).

Fit the drive onto the lowest number available (and remember it - you'll need to select it during clone/Windows install!); to install Windows (or clone the old HDD), you'll then need to enter the BIOS/UEFI and set the DVD drive (or cloning disc/USB drive) to the first device in the boot order.

Once installed/cloned, shut down and swap the SSD for the original drive and then set the SSD as boot device in the BIOS.
    Thanks, makes sense now

Thanks
    FWIW: If you have't looked it up, here are the differences between SATA I, II and III.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142

Now keep in mind that most modern mobo's have both II and III SATA ports. Most of the time they are differentiated by colors. You would need to check the mobo manual for types. This is not the case with retail PC's like your Dell. Most of the time the retail stock mobo's will have minimum of SATA ports (usually 4) and move with the times to the latest SATA version...eg I, II, III.
    Last edited by bassfisher6522; 2014-01-21 at 10:08.