Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why does Hotmail take so long to be usable?

Hi,

I seem to be the only person annoyed by this, but here goes:

When I log into Gmail, it's ready to open messages straight away. But with Hotmail, in the browser tab, a little circle spins about 5 times in the first minute and says "connecting". And in that time you can't open a message properly. What is it connecting to? Can those connections be stopped? Why aren't other people annoyed by this? Am I missing something?

TIA.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    What are you referring to with "Hotmail"? What email client are you using to view, I assume your hotmail account?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I open Mozilla Firefox and type hotmail.com and it comes up outlook - xxxxx@hotmail.com. But the email address is replaced by "connecting" every few seconds for 30-60 seconds. I can see my emails, but when I click on them they don't open, or if they do it returns back to the inbox after it does another "connecting". After 60 seconds I can access everything like normal. It just seems silly to be waiting for a minute when all other webmail companies are instant.

Thanks
    Could it be Microsoft subtly suggesting that it was about time you moved to an outlook.com email address rather than the now-deprecated hotmail.com?! (Just a thought... )
    BATcher

Mr Owl ate my metal worm

Thanks
    I have an old live.com email account and it works perfectly using MS new Outlook.com web service. BATcher may be on to something with the "MS subtle suggestion" to move to the new email. That's just an educated guess.

Everything I've read so far indicates that service is/has moved to the new Outlook format but you can keep your old hotmail email. But nothing to explain the issue your having.

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/farewel...bmail-service/

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have more than one old Hotmail.com address and do not have any problems with them.
    Do you have the latest version of Firefox?
    Have you tried clearing the Firefox cache?
    Have you tried a different browser?

Joe