New Lounger
    Thanks

Failure of Langa-recommended firewall test

Can you please tell me what happened? I tried the Hackerwatch test site listed by Mr. Langa in the latest newsletter. For the simple test, I got the following:

msxml3.dll error '800c0008'

The download of the specified resource has failed.

/probe/hitme.asp, line 57

For the port test, this:

ASPtear error '800a0002'

The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response

/probe/probe.asp, line 307

I am running Windows 7 with its firewall enabled. I am wired to the internet through a Verizon DSL modem and a home wireless network LinkSys router.

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulowin View Post
    Can you please tell me what happened? I tried the Hackerwatch test site listed by Mr. Langa in the latest newsletter. For the simple test, I got the following:

msxml3.dll error '800c0008'

The download of the specified resource has failed.

/probe/hitme.asp, line 57

For the port test, this:

ASPtear error '800a0002'

The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response

/probe/probe.asp, line 307

I am running Windows 7 with its firewall enabled. I am wired to the internet through a Verizon DSL modem and a home wireless network LinkSys router.
    This looks like a server error, so nothing do to with your computer or firewall.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks

Firewall tests

Thank you for the responses. I returned to the two originally recommended sites, to find that at least one now worked, and also ran the Comodo tests. Please see attachment.

After seeing the Comodo results, I went to the Windows (7) firewall and raised the security to blocking all incoming. Remarkably, I received an identical result from Comodo after rebooting and retesting.

I have no idea how to interpret the results, and none how to manage the advanced items in the firewall settings. Would one of you please, it's not asking too much, offer some guidance, or further links, on what to do?

Thank you again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    For me, it's very hard to provide help, since I do not know what Comodo is testing and I don't use the Windows firewall (too complex an interface, too little control).

I would think that most of Comodo's issues result from teh fact that outbound protection is possibly not configured, which would be the default for the Windows 7 firewall. You'd need to change it to only allow outbound connections that match rules, which may cause a few of your outbound programs to fail, at least initially. However, as I said, my experience with the Windows firewall is limited, as I don't use it and actually have always used 3rd party firewalls, going back to the time where Windows had no firewall at all.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone have more guidance? Mr. Langa's column warned against any Rootkit failures; I have one out of four. As stated previously, I have no clue as to how to interpret the other info, or how to go about doing anything about it. But it seems I ought to.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Most home routers provide a firewall too. The IP address of your PC most likely does not match what is being reported by GRC. That means the test is for your router not the PC. Even if something was able to penetrate the router firewall there is still the PC firewall to stop it.

Joe