New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't change default browser from Firefox to Maxthon

The topic says it all. I have used Windows 7 "Default Programs" and tried "Set your default programs" and "Associate a file type..." I have also tried "Set program access and computer defaults" while using an admin account. I installed a program called "changethedefaultbrowser" (or something similar), and that didn't work. I imagine that making the correct change in the Registry would solve the problem, but my exploration of the Registry didn't give me any clues. This is NOT a major issue for me, just an annoyance. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Most browsers have an option in their tools/settings for making that browser the default - does Maxthon?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. Tried that. Didn't work. I figured if I uninstalled Firefox, then when I clicked on a link, I'd get a chance to pick a browser. That didn't work, either. After I uninstalled Firefox and clicked on a link, nothing happened.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    try uninstalling and reinstalling Maxthon.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good suggestion, but it didn't change anything.

Thanks
    Try uninstalling all browsers, then uninstall the software to change browsers - it's uneeded, then run your AV and any malware/spyware software you have. By default, IE will become the default browser. Now you can download/install any 3rd party browser software.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to you all. I uninstalled the software to change browsers as soon as I saw that it didn't work. I'll run the AV and malware software -- always a good thing to do. But uninstalling and then reinstalling all the browsers is too much work for something that is, as I said in my first post, just an annoyance -- not any kind of performance issue.

Thanks
    You may also have corrupt system files....I would recommend put in your windows install media and doing a system repair.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...ation-disc.htm

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did an AV check, and that created other problems. This whole issue is just not important enough to take up any more time. I've been able to reset Opera as my default browser, and that's that. Thanks for the input. Case closed!