Thanks

Thumbs up Quite a Useful Product for Disk/Partition Management

I have found this to be quite a useful (quick and easy) Disk/Partition Management product:

http://www.partitionassistant.com/pr...l-edition.html

In particular, I used it (Partition Assistant Professional Version 5.5) to convert my full MBR-booted Windows 8.1 system and data disk to UEFI boot (without any data loss, or the need to re-install any software) in less than two minutes.

There is a free, slightly less capable "standard" version available as well.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can it do sector alignment (align to multiples of 1024Bytes)?
    Is the alignment GUI, with slider only?
    Reason: GUI slider is too coarse and not fine adjustment enough. Need down to single Byte unit to accurately align to 1024.
    It pained me (and also out of pocket cost) that the few partition software I bought could not do it. The GUI slider is too coarse.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scaisson View Post
    Can it do sector alignment (align to multiples of 1024Bytes)?
    Is the alignment GUI, with slider only?
    Reason: GUI slider is too coarse and not fine adjustment enough. Need down to single Byte unit to accurately align to 1024.
    It pained me (and also out of pocket cost) that the few partition software I bought could not do it. The GUI slider is too coarse.
    Yes it does. I have all 3 of Aomei products, the Pro versions. Works great. There is a trail version for the Pro version and you could try it out yourself.

http://www.partitionassistant.com/download.html
    Last edited by bassfisher6522; 2014-01-24 at 04:08.

Thanks
    @scaisson: Here is a screen image taken from Partition Assistant Professional v5.5 that should put you mind at ease.
    Partition Alignment.jpg
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the free version.
    It does do 1024-align correctly (verified with Intel SSD Tools and fsutil).

For large partitions (I am guessing: greater than 1GB), the auto-align partition size is very close to what you set it to. When the partition size is small, however, (in my case, the first boot partition of Win7, 199MB), it auto-aligns to no smaller than 700MB. You can manually move the GUI slider to get it smaller. The slider, being GUI, can only be approximate. That is, if you go smaller than, in my case, 700MB, it follows to the letter. That is, not aligned. If you enable the auto-align feature, it goes back to 700MB aligned.

Just my observation to help if users puzzled over this 'huge' first boot partition in Win7. I would leave it at that, at 700MB and aligned. Not a big loss in capacity

I wish the pro version provides a numerical input so that I can force a specific partition size manually, down to single unit of Bytes. Maybe asking too much. Maybe only for geeks.