New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup: Windows 7 to 8.1

I now know two people who bought nice new Windows 8.1 machines, after backing up their Windows 7 machines. And Windows 8.1 will not read Windows 7 backups. Of course they no longer have their Windows 7 machines.

Windows 8 did restore from Window 7 backups. But not Windows 8.1 Why on earth this useful functionality was removed is beyond me.

Several places suggest mounting the Windows 7 backup as a VHD and extracting files from it. That doesn't seem to work using the File Explorer, although it does at cmd level.

I have looked at the Windows 7 backup format: it's an XML catalog of a gazillion zip files. I suppose I could write a program to read the catalog and .... But Windows 12 will be out by the time I debug it.

Any smarter ideas? I am astonished that I cannot find utilities that do this. As for Microsoft removing functionality: bleegh.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm guessing the Windows 7 VHD file(s) would have to be 'attached' in Disk Management of Windows 8.1 — before becoming accessible in File Explorer. Perhaps the following link can help:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...anagement.html

Let us know — good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HansPeter For This Useful Post:

GordonFindlay (2014-01-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - that works a treat - except that Win 7 uses VHD rather than VHDX as the file extension.