Thanks

Exclamation Moving a Complete System to a New PC: Some Warnings

A number of users have Backup/Recovery software that proudly advises that it can be used to move a backup of a complete system disk to a completely new PC without any data loss; and without the need to re-install any software.

This is not entirely true in many cases:

Whilst the software will permit you to provide access to all new drivers for your new system, and will install them, there are some challenges that will most likely follow the process:

1. If using MS Windows as your OS, and/or MS Office it/they will have to be re-activated. This could require a call to Microsoft to explain what you are doing.

2. If you have been using software that attempts to prevent piracy or multiple installations of single-user programs by recording your specific machine "finger-print" (such as most Nuance software, like Dragon Dictate, Omnipage, and Paperport), then you will find that that software will require the purchase of a new product/licence key in order for it to be used on your new PC. Unless you do as Nuance advises and un-install their products BEFORE you make the system backup you are going to move to your new PC. You must then re-install that software and re-activate it.

3. If you are using a security program, such as Norton Internet Security, you may find that you have exceeded the number of PCs you can have it installed on after the move. NOTE: Symantec requires you to "de-activate" the licence for your product BEFORE you make the system backup you are planning to move. You must then re-install and, in some cases, re-activate the product after the move.

4. Similarly, note that Acronis True Image With Plus Pack (which is the very program you may be using for your move), will give an error message "number of installations exceeded" the first time you try to use it on your moved system. You will then have to follow prescribed steps on their web site to re-activate your product on your new hardware and de-activate it on your "old" hardware.

There are a number of experienced Loungers who will no-doubt state that the acquisition of a new PC is a great opportunity to do a complete re-install of all software followed by installation of your backed-up data. This provides a "pristine" system on your new hardware. In the long run, this may be the route to opt for, rather than be trapped with a "mess-up" after a failed attempted complete system move that arises from all/some of the pitfalls mentioned above.

You have been warned: a complete system move to new hardware is NOT necessarily a simple process!
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-01-23),scaisson (2014-01-24)

Thanks
    3. If you are using a security program, such as Norton Internet Security, you may find that you have exceeded the number of PCs you can have it installed on after the move. NOTE: Symantec requires you to "de-activate" the licence for your product BEFORE you make the system backup you are planning to move. You must then re-install and, in some cases, re-activate the product after the move.
    That's one of the most common mistakes made these days by the average user...it's even caught me off guard.

Over all, a well thought out, well written and very informative post. I like it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i had a program that stopped working
    the new hd was much bigger than the old one
    and the ap could not cope with it
    i had to patch it to use a small outboard usb hd to get it running

moral is to make the new c drive the same size as the old one
    and use any extra space you got with a new pc/hd for other things