Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 78
  1. #1
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    What is most compatible move up from XP?

    I'm an older generation computer user who participates in a number of boating forums and other forums. I've grown real use to XP that was on my HP desktop computer when new, and have done some upgrades to SP3, and more speed, and a new HD a few years ago just as a precaution. It has served me well, and I am very comfortable with its configuration.

    Now I also had a Dell laptop with XP on it as well, but that got old and I bought a new Acer laptop a few years ago with Win7 as an operating system. I'm comfortable with operating system as well, as it is very similar to XP

    The question that arises is what operating system upgrade should I consider for my older desktop running XP. I might well be happy with going to Win 7 on it, BUT what files, dwgs, etc will I not be able to access from those stored /or created with my old desktop XP?? How difficult would such an upgrade to Win7 be??

    I would be reluctant to go to Win 8 or higher as I have heard a few horror stories about these newer Win operating systems. It seems to have 'shades' of those old short-lived operating systems that Microsoft bought out,....Vista, etc ? And one good friend who runs there home improvement business on computer says she is find with Win7, but Win 8 is just too different, ...and junk in her opinion.

    Will Win7 last long enough (for 5-8 years) before they try to make it obsolete also?

    I get tired of trying to learn my computers all over again. I even bought a nice Apple desktop computer just to get away from this damn Microsoft crap, but I have not learned how to use it yet (I need a few lessons as to how to use it efficiently, particularly the bookmark features that I utilize a lot when my 70yr old mind needs reminding what I posted, on what forum )

  2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

    Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

    Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

    + Get this BONUS — free!

    Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to beiland For This Useful Post:

    Orange Kitty (2014-02-06)

  4. #2
    3 Star Lounger bassfisher6522's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    262
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
    MY suggestion: based on the age of you PC that's running XP, the hardware on it is just as old and out dated, minus you new HDD. That being said, to take full advantage of a new OS would be to go with new hardware....eg a new desktop. Unfortunately, all new PC's come with windows 8/8.1 and for some the new touch based OS is really scary for some. Now the upside, since you are fimilar with windows 7, there is a work around. A few 3rd party app that take windows 8/8.1 to look and feel like windows 7. The 2 most popular are Classic Shell and Start8. Classic shell is free and Start8 is free to try for 30 days and then cost's $4.99. I've used both and prefer Start8 over Classic Shell. I have Start8 on my laptop running windows 7 and 8.1 in a dual boot setup.

  5. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,324
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 589 Times in 526 Posts
    Windows 7 SP-1 is in extended support until Jan. 14, 2020.

    Your biggest problem with Windows 7 will be to ensure that there are device drivers for all you equipment. The first step should be to download, install, and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. That will point out potential problems for you.

    Joe

  6. #4
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,081
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 235 Times in 228 Posts
    If you don't have a sound hardware platform for Win 7 you could consider a three or four year old refurbished computer running Win 7 Pro. For about $250 on the high side you can get a core2duo 3GHz, 4 gig RAM, 250-500 gig drive Optiplex 760 or HP Elite 8000 series. I've purchased on the cheap like that for many years and they always seem to be as reliable as any I build new, though they always have the little dings and scratches that come with refurbs.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

    cmptrgy (2014-01-30)

  8. #5
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks very much for those replies thus far. I'm going to look into each one when I return to USA from visiting my wife in Thailand. Since I am living part time in DC area I believe I can likely find some used/or refurbished computers with Win7 on them as suggested by 'FUN downtown'.

    Since I am not a person who likes to 'waste things' (kept my old '73 SLC Mercedes running for 30 yrs) , what would be my best disposal of the older HP desktop?....or since it is still running great, should I try to employ it at some other job?...perhaps in programing and reading the DCC (digital command control) & sound decoders they are placing into model trains?? ( I have a big collection I hope to make use of in later years)

    Or could I really donate it into some third world school program where it might really get used?

  9. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,324
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 589 Times in 526 Posts
    Unless you have a real use for it, I recommend you donate it.

    Make sure you remove all your data and any personal information if you decide to donate it.

    Joe

  10. #7
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    355
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    why change at all ?

    i still have two win98SE machines in use
    and 4 XPprosp3 systems
    all 6 are desktops

    the 98ses are faster than the xp because they are not on the net and i ripped out the antivirus and other software that slows most pcs down

    just bought a win8 notebook but only because it was dirt cheap on sale to use as a backup and for travel
    and you cant seem to get xp any more on a notebook
    which means a lot of learning curve ahead
    and i am still trying to learn my wifes new samsung tablet with android apple pie or wahtever they call it now

    did get a newer internal LARGER hard disk and had everything moved to it by the store
    the xpprosp3 system is running faster and the new disk space will make it last as long as the motherboard now

    max the ram out and get a newer bigger HD and keep using that xp system for a long time !
    ===========


    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    I'm an older generation computer user who participates in a number of boating forums and other forums. I've grown real use to XP that was on my HP desktop computer when new, and have done some upgrades to SP3, and more speed, and a new HD a few years ago just as a precaution. It has served me well, and I am very comfortable with its configuration.

    Now I also had a Dell laptop with XP on it as well, but that got old and I bought a new Acer laptop a few years ago with Win7 as an operating system. I'm comfortable with operating system as well, as it is very similar to XP

    The question that arises is what operating system upgrade should I consider for my older desktop running XP. I might well be happy with going to Win 7 on it, BUT what files, dwgs, etc will I not be able to access from those stored /or created with my old desktop XP?? How difficult would such an upgrade to Win7 be??

    I would be reluctant to go to Win 8 or higher as I have heard a few horror stories about these newer Win operating systems. It seems to have 'shades' of those old short-lived operating systems that Microsoft bought out,....Vista, etc ? And one good friend who runs there home improvement business on computer says she is find with Win7, but Win 8 is just too different, ...and junk in her opinion.

    Will Win7 last long enough (for 5-8 years) before they try to make it obsolete also?

    I get tired of trying to learn my computers all over again. I even bought a nice Apple desktop computer just to get away from this damn Microsoft crap, but I have not learned how to use it yet (I need a few lessons as to how to use it efficiently, particularly the bookmark features that I utilize a lot when my 70yr old mind needs reminding what I posted, on what forum )

  11. #8
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,081
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 235 Times in 228 Posts
    It's all a tempest in a teapot for me as well but each of us has a different comfort level to address. It wouldn't do to be skittish about using one's own PC after all; no fun at all.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

  12. #9
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post

    did get a newer internal LARGER hard disk and had everything moved to it by the store
    the xpprosp3 system is running faster and the new disk space will make it last as long as the motherboard now

    max the ram out and get a newer bigger HD and keep using that xp system for a long time
    In other words use it just like an external HD (that is not portable) ?

  13. #10
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eastover, NC, USA
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Give Linux a try. Sure your Windows Programs won't work but Linux usually has a similar program.

    A Linux machine will read most files from Windows and open them with no problems. Such as Word Documents, Pictures, and Music. Just uses different software. Networking and printer sharing with Windows is easily accomplished.

    One distro of Linux that has a similar look to Windows is Zorin. http://zorin-os.com/

    All it will cost you is the price of one DVD.

  14. #11
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by junebug View Post
    Give Linux a try. Sure your Windows Programs won't work but Linux usually has a similar program.

    One distro of Linux that has a similar look to Windows is Zorin. http://zorin-os.com/

    All it will cost you is the price of one DVD.
    Lets see if I have this correct?
    1) Linux is a different operating system than XP.
    2) It is an 'open source' operating system
    3 How does one go about installing it? I imagine you DO NOT first uninstall XP, as that would leave your computer bear, wouldn't it?
    4) So do you install Linux, then discard the XP?
    5) Or can you have both running on the computer?
    6) Or do you transfer all of the stuff on your current system over onto another hard drive storage, then transfer that info back to the computer once you have installed the new operating system Linux?

    7) Not sure I totally understand this statement, "Windows Programs won't work but Linux usually has a similar program"
    8) Is there somewhere I might 'experience' Linux before I make the switch?

  15. #12
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eastover, NC, USA
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Lets see if I have this correct?
    1) Linux is a different operating system than XP.
    Correct, completely different.

    2) It is an 'open source' operating system
    Yes

    3 How does one go about installing it? I imagine you DO NOT first uninstall XP, as that would leave your computer bear, wouldn't it?
    Simply reboot with the install DVD in the drive. You have a choice, you can replace XP or have a dual boot system.

    4) So do you install Linux, then discard the XP?
    Can be done that way if you wish.

    5) Or can you have both running on the computer?
    Yes

    6) Or do you transfer all of the stuff on your current system over onto another hard drive storage, then transfer that info back to the computer once you have installed the new operating system Linux?
    You can do that or network with Windows and transfer data over the network. .

    7) Not sure I totally understand this statement, "Windows Programs won't work but Linux usually has a similar program"
    Some Windows programs will work using WINE. Microsoft Word for example, Linux uses LibreOffice. It will read Word Documents and Word will read LibreOffice documents.

    8) Is there somewhere I might 'experience' Linux before I make the switch?
    Download Zorin and burn the ISO file to a DVD. The download is 1.5 GB so a CD won't work. Boot from the DVD and you will have a choice as to install, or run the Operating System from the DVD without installing.

  16. #13
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,131
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts
    beiland,

    In your case, since you are already familiar with Windows 7, my recommendation would be to go with Windows 7. It's a great operating system and you are already familiar with it. You expressed a concern about learning a new OS, so I don't see how any variant of Linux would be compatible with that.

    Back when 7 was released, I went through the very same upgrade path you are now facing XP to 7. I also took the opportunity to go from XP 32 bit to 7 64 bit.
    Provided your hardware is supported by Windows 7, the migration will always be a bit disruptive, since you cannot upgrade in place. So, you will need to make sure you have good backups of your documents and other important data, before you start the process.

    Windows 7 will required a clean install, which means you will have to reinstall all the programs you need, once the 7 setup completes. If you would like to make this migration easier, there is paid software that you can buy to migrate your programs from XP to 7. I did that back in 2009. You don't have to do so, but you can do it, if you are keen in making the migration easier.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  17. #14
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post

    Back when 7 was released, I went through the very same upgrade path you are now facing XP to 7. I also took the opportunity to go from XP 32 bit to 7 64 bit.
    Provided your hardware is supported by Windows 7, the migration will always be a bit disruptive, since you cannot upgrade in place. So, you will need to make sure you have good backups of your documents and other important data, before you start the process.

    Windows 7 will required a clean install, which means you will have to reinstall all the programs you need, once the 7 setup completes. If you would like to make this migration easier, there is paid software that you can buy to migrate your programs from XP to 7. I did that back in 2009. You don't have to do so, but you can do it, if you are keen in making the migration easier.
    Is it possible that my older XP machine will not run on a 64 bit operating system? (not that I understand this 32 & 64 bit stuff,...ha...ha) but I think I remember seeing a potential problem about this somewhere.

    My laptop is a 64 bit Win7, and if I remember correctly I had problems reading some text documents created with my old XP desktop unit that were stored on my external hard drive ? I forgot the details. Or maybe it was because my external HD was set up in a 32 bit manner? I've gotten confused with all this new stuff. I will have to drag that external HD out tomorrow and see if I can determine the exact problem I had looking at those old files on the external HD using my Win 7 laptop.

    Unfortunately I can do no experiments with my desktop HP (XP) as it is back in the USA, while I am over in Thailand for 2 months. But I did bring along that external HD, just in case I had time to review it.

    Thanks VERY much for all the contributing help with making this computer illiterate guy try to understand some of this new computer wizardry.

  18. #15
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,131
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts
    It is possible that your XP machine cannot run a 64 bit OS, yes. If you download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, as Joe suggested in post #3, I think it will also inform you about it (though I can't be definitive on this, sorry).

    The transition to 64 bit is, in most cases, trouble free.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •