Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I upgraded to Win8/8.1 I lost the use of several programs, particularly graphics software, that I had been using for years (before XP). Windows 8 does not play well with older software. Windows 7 didn't have any problems. I understand HP is offering systems with Win7 currently.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On consideration is to purchase a new computer with Win 7 on it. My sister just purchased a new laptop with Win 7 on it from Dell and I just purchased a new laptop from Toshiba with Win 7 on it. According to some posts Win 7 will be supported until sometime in 2020 per Microsoft. I'm sure there are some Desktops still available. In both instances, we ordered directly from the manufacture's home web site and sent to our homes. I couldn't find any computers on the floor in a retail store that have Win 7 on it. Hope this might be of some help, John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfarmer View Post
    The simplest thing to do is to buy a new laptop with Windows 7. I'm 66 years old and have the same concerns as the original poster. Three days ago (late January 2014) I helped a friend buy a new Dell Laptop with Windows 7 Professional for around $600, so these systems are still available, and a new one avoids all the possible hassles of a used/refurbished PC.
    I recently bought my wife a new laptop computer, an HP Probook 4540s with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. She is very happy with it. Dell, Lenovo, and HP, and probably others are selling new computers, not old unsold stock, with Windows 7 on them. I highly recommend skipping Windows 8, and waiting to see what Windows 9 is like.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    32-bit Windows operating systems will also run either 32-bit or 16-bit programs. 64-bit Windows operating systems will run 32-bit programs, but not 16-bit.

32 bit software sometime uses a 16-bit installer, so that the application would run if you could install it on your 64 bit machine, but you can't.

In other cases, you can install it, but your "32-bit" application calls 16-bit DLLs which won't run on a machine with a 64-bit OS. Sometimes these programs will crash while starting up, and in other cases they will start okay, but crash when you try to do something that makes a call to the 16-bit DLL.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible that my older XP machine will not run on a 64 bit operating system? (not that I understand this 32 & 64 bit stuff,...ha...ha) but I think I remember seeing a potential problem about this somewhere.
    go to Control Panel->System->General Tab

Under "Computer:" it will tell you what processor you have. If it is a Pentium 4, it is 32-bit, if it is a Pentium D, it is 64-bit, if it is a core duo, it is 32-bit, if it is core 2 duo (or core 2 quad), it is 64-bit. Anything else, do an internet search.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I will be facing the same problem, upgrading from XP to probably Windows 7. I have been intrigued with comments made regarding Linux and Zorin operating systems. I mainly use Mozilla Firefox browser and I use my computer mostly for surfing online, and have downloaded many musical videos, from various websites and youtube. If I installed either Linux or Zorin as an operating system (am I correct in assuming either would be just an addition to my current XP?), would I be able to still view these videos? Also, I'm assuming I would NOT be able to utilize Mozilla's "Download Helper" with either one. Would that be a correct assumption? I must reveal that I'm not knowledgeable at all regarding either operating system. Any further info would be greatly appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nomad

I have been intrigued with comments made regarding Linux and Zorin operating systems.
    Linus Torvalds is the founder and coordinator of Linux. He maintains the kernel. Many other groups maintain distributions. for an idea of what this means see http://distrowatch.com. Zorin is a Linux distribution. So are Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Mageia, Fedora, and nearly 300 others.

I mainly use Mozilla Firefox browser and I use my computer mostly for surfing online
    Most Linux distributions have Firefox as the default browser. I don't know about Zorin, but probably.

If I installed either Linux or Zorin as an operating system ... would I be able to still view these videos?
    Yes.

am I correct in assuming either would be just an addition to my current XP?
    There are several ways to use Linux, including "Live boot" where you don't install at all, just boot from your DVD drive or USB drive.
    You can install Linux as a dual boot, so that when you start the computer, you can choose which one to boot into, Linux or XP.
    You can install VirtualBox onto your XP computer, and install Linux as a virtual machine running on the XP physical machine.
    Or you can install Linux to use the whole hard disk and over-write XP. That doesn't sound like what you want to do.

Also, I'm assuming I would NOT be able to utilize Mozilla's "Download Helper" with either one
    I hate to admit that I don't know what the Mozilla download helper is, but if it works on XP, it probably works on Linux. I don't know.

If I were choosing a Linux distribution for myself, or for a complete beginner, I think that I would choose Linux Mint Cinnamon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

Nomad (2014-02-07)

Thanks
    I ran the Windows 7 compatibility test and it did not like my monitor drivers. Will it work anyhow? Has anybody tested this and found out it worked OK?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burger2227 View Post
    I ran the Windows 7 compatibility test and it did not like my monitor drivers. Will it work anyhow? Has anybody tested this and found out it worked OK?
    Have you looked for Windows 7 compatible drivers? Windows 7 may have drivers that will work but if they do they will be basic drivers that may no take full advantage of the device.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burger2227 View Post
    Monitor drivers amount to nothing more than information about what the monitor is capable of (resolutions and refresh rates) so the generic should work fine as long as the monitor is capable of some standard resolutions and refresh rates.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible the Windows 7 compatibility test doesn't like your video driver, graphics card or something like that vs the monitor drivers?
    --- Can you post the exact message?

I have seen video driver issues on a couple of computers upgraded to Windows 7
    --- Even though the computers run ok, the owners are constantly being reminded of whatever the issue is and they tell me they have "choppy" performance

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft extends date for OEM preloads of Windows 7 for business users
    By Mary Jo Foley

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-exten...rs-7000026362/

Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay I'm back from overseas, and I'm planning to attacked this upgrade to my desktop computer in the next few days.

I was prepping a couple of 'backup devices' to place my files and photos on just in case. When I placed a call to Microsoft help desk they indicated that it was not necessary for me to take XP off of the machine (nor back the files up) before downloading Win 7 onto it. The rep indicated that the new Win 7 would take over from the XP automatically?? Can this be true??

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done 2 upgrades from XP to 7 so far. Goes easily with Laplink PC Mover which they have for $25 for XP users. You just pop inthe 7 disk while in XP, tell it to install custom, it saves all the data and programs to a file called windows.old and then you run PC Mover, and it will pull everything from there. The only thing that seems to get borked is MSE. Both times I had to download new as the moved one gave an error. It takes about a day and a half to do including all the windows updates.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to miztrniceguy For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2014-03-20)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It can if you install Win 7 on the same partition that XP is on without formatting. In that case it will "stuff" all of XP into a folder called Windows.old from which you may extract data files after installing Win 7.

However, relying on that to preserve your data files is not a good practice, back up those files to backup devices before installing and remember than one copy is not a backup no matter where it is; you should have at least two copies on different drives or media at all times.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast