Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miztrniceguy View Post
    I have done 2 upgrades from XP to 7 so far. Goes easily with Laplink PC Mover which they have for $25 for XP users. You just pop inthe 7 disk while in XP, tell it to install custom, it saves all the data and programs to a file called windows.old and then you run PC Mover, and it will pull everything from there. The only thing that seems to get borked is MSE. Both times I had to download new as the moved one gave an error. It takes about a day and a half to do including all the windows updates.
    Are Win 7 disk still available? I thought I saw a discussion that this was older software, and with this great demand coming soon, it might not be available??

So without a disc, I would have to download it from somewhere,...is that correct? And with all the scammers out there where would be the best places to get this software as a download?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Amazon still sells Windows 7 licenses.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    Are Win 7 disk still available? I thought I saw a discussion that this was older software, and with this great demand coming soon, it might not be available??

So without a disc, I would have to download it from somewhere,...is that correct? And with all the scammers out there where would be the best places to get this software as a download?
    Look at Amazon, Newegg, or other reputable vendors. There are still plenty of places to purchase a DVD.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just went back and reread your original post.

I even bought a nice Apple desktop computer just to get away from this damn Microsoft crap
    Ordinarily an Apple desktop is the last thing I would suggest (or even think of), but since you already have one, bite the bullet, and learn it. Then if you don't like it, you can move on. Talk to your local Apple store about an introduction.

I bought my wife a nice HP laptop recently with Windows 7 Pro on it, so she is set for several years, but when she needs a new computer, I will probably get her off the Microsoft disaster, and get her an apple laptop.

Otherwise my suggestion would be

1) Windows 7 (64-bit if your hardware will support it)

2) Linux (Zorin is okay, but I would recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon)

3) Apple

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought 3 copies in the last two weeks. I buy oem copies. For one desktop I needed to move to a bigger HDD so I cloned XP using Acronis TruImage which WD provides free with it's drive. The with XP open I installed Win 7, using custom option. It advises data on target drive will be saved as Windows.old. Then when done I downloaded Laplink PC Mover Pro for $25 and ran it. It restored everything to 7. I think the only thing that didn't work was Microsoft Security Essentials which gave a error. I just downloaded it fresh from MS. The a gazillion updates for Windows s nd good to go.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to miztrniceguy For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-03-20)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See if this helps
    Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-7#T1=tab01

As mentioned, consider doing your own backups first

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FUN downtown makes a good suggestion - I've got a Pentium 4 3.2ghz with 4gb RAM and six hard drives - IDE and SATA - and a 128mb onboard video card. Play a few flash games as stress relief, but nothing that stretches the configuration. Windows 7 advisor has an issue with the graphics card, but Win 7 pro runs very well on this machine for average tasks:

This is what I do:

Web browsing - Youtube, among other streaming video but about 4-5 hrs per 7-day week.
    E-mail.
    Graphics - 8-15 gb jpg images and 68mb tiffs about one day per week - that makes it grunt, but up to 10 hours with 5 mb jpgs it works OK.
    I'm also developing 100+ webpages for archival uses - mixed graphics and text with some video. The above machine handles that fine.
    Games - not much, but Hearts, Bejewelled 3 and Spider Solitaire.
    Audio - Vinyl conversion to digital - does this OK.

When I say OK - I mean it's not an issue. More speed would be nice, but I don't notice anything slow except what I've mentioned.

It makes sense to keep to an OS you know - like the one on your laptop, as you already know how to use it.

HTH

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    It is possible that your XP machine cannot run a 64 bit OS, yes. If you download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, as Joe suggested in post #3, I think it will also inform you about it (though I can't be definitive on this, sorry).
    You are correct, both the Microsoft scan and a few other sources told me I needed the 32 bit version for my 'older' computer. So I bought a Win 7 disc the other day (OEM Systems Builder Pack) from MicroCenter here in sububan MD

Lounger
    Thanks
    So now I began to clean up my desktop computer in preparation to back it up onto my external hard drive, before whipping XP away and installing Win 7.

You would think backing up the XP system would be easy?? Turns out that XP home edition was not supplied with a backup utility. And if your XP system came installed on the computer, there was no backup disc suppled. So I went looking for a relatively simply manner that I might utilize to backup my XP system. I found this:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/ntbackup.htm

Downloading that utility went rather easy, and the instructions seemed pretty straight forward. I chose to save the backup onto my 1-T external HD. Things started downloading rather quickly, but in short order it hung up (or certainly appeared to). I had to turn off my computer to exit the situation as the computer did not seem to want to take any commands. I started the 'backup' again. And again it went quite rapidly, then appeared to stop again??

I went to the HD to check what I might have downloaded to this point. I found 2 files that I had named " Backup of HP desktop, Mar 2014" They were described as type: "Windows Backup File", and would open with "Windows Backup Utility". But when I tried to open them to see exactly what files were in them, the process took me back to the "Welcome to the Backup or Resore Wizard". In other words it seemed to take me in a loop of processes without divulging the contents of the backup.?? I hope my explaination makes sense?

It really should not be that difficult to backup the XP system, should it? Help.

Should I try to 'save' the backup in another format? ...other than Microsoft
    Should this process be capabile of freezing up my computer.? I only have about 25 GB of 150 total utilized ....mostly documents and photos
    Last edited by beiland; 2014-03-27 at 19:28.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I haven't used that backup utility for many years now, but I don't think you can browse the backup file. You can restore it, but not browsing the contents. I may be wrong though, since many years have gone by since I last used it.

I suggest that you try one of the free imaging apps, such as Macrium Reflect Free or EaseUS Todo Backup to create a full system image. Once you install the app, create a boot disc and then create a full system image. This image will allow you to restore the whole system (operating system included), in case you want to do that and that's the best backup strategy for an OS migration. You will also be able to access individual files, in case of need.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You might also give Nero BackItUp 2014 free a try just for the data. The feedback while it's running seems a little choppy, but it goes right to work making a one to one backup from your specified drive(s) to the specified backup drive/folder. Nero is dipping their toes in the online backup market so I think that's the reason they give this part of it away for free now.

Lounger
    Thanks

I suggest that you try one of the free imaging apps, such as Macrium Reflect Free or .....
    Took a look at this one and have a question?
    What does it mean that it does not include "file and folder backup" ?
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Regrettably I can not work on this project till maybe later this evening.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That just means it doesn't do that separately as a feature if that's all you want. An image still includes a complete file and folder backup; literally, every file and folder is included except the pagefile and hibernation file methinks. That's where Back It Up might come in, make a complete image with Macrium Reflect and a personal file and folder backup with BackItUp.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-03-28 at 12:12.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    Took a look at this one and have a question?
    What does it mean that it does not include "file and folder backup" ?
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Regrettably I can not work on this project till maybe later this evening.
    It is just as FUN explained .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't used that backup utility for many years now, but I don't think you can browse the backup file. You can restore it, but not browsing the contents. I may be wrong though, since many years have gone by since I last used it.

I suggest that you try one of the free imaging apps, such as Macrium Reflect Free or EaseUS Todo Backup to create a full system image. Once you install the app, create a boot disc and then create a full system image. This image will allow you to restore the whole system (operating system included), in case you want to do that and that's the best backup strategy for an OS migration. You will also be able to access individual files, in case of need.
    So I have been experimenting with some back-ups. I decided to try each of these 2 you recommended. I'm pretty sure I was successful with the Macrium one, but the EaseUS Todo one stopped downloading part way thru the process. I tried it again and it stopped again. I began to wonder if it had anything to do with the 'size' of the info I was trying to download,...or some glitch with the external HD I was downloading to?

I decided to abandon this EaseUS program for now, and do a manual backup, by literally using my mouse to 'send to' each folder to my external HD. Oops I ran into a similar problem with large file folders when trying to transfer them that manner,....the transfer rate would slow down, then just stop and freeze up?? I then switched USB cable that fed the HD,...that did not improve things. I then switched the USB port I plugged into on my computer and walla!!.... everything started working fine. I even manually downloaded my entire 'My Documents' folder all in one shot.

So then I wanted to backup "My Favorites" to a file folder on my external HD. I went looking for instructions as I had forgotten he process. Here is what the Microsoft page told me about this process for IE8,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211089
    ...and my reply to them
    Your instructions are INCORRECT, to export one's 'favorites' in IE8 to a remote file. They say:
    1.In Internet Explorer, click Favorites, click the down-arrow next to Add to Favorites, and then click Import and Export.
    2.Click Export to a file, and then click Next."
    That is incorrect as far as I'm see. You first need to click on 'file', then go to 'import/export'
    Why is that Microsoft can't even get the instructions correct on their own site and software. I'm amazed.

I'm an older man who needs to follow instructions to get this computer stuff cleared up, and when the instructions are wrong.....what can I say???
    Last edited by beiland; 2014-04-07 at 12:29.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast