New Lounger
    Thanks

Self Extracting .msi

Hi:

I am running Windows 8.1, 64 bit. Applications install well, except for .msi self extractions, ie. 7zip. On double clicking, I get a colored dialog box with nothing in it. No dialog, no error message, nothing. What can I do to have the .msi self extractions process themselves?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!!

Have you modified file associations?
    Have you run a malware check?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi:

Thanks for your reply. I noticed this a while back and I did not really understand what was happening. The app didn't matter so i didn't think about it further. Lately, I need a particular download. So, yes, I have been running Malware several times. I have Defender on. I do regular scans.

But, I did not do any file associations, as I do not know how. Please help me with this.

Thank you

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I'll work with this. Jim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi: Now I have done it. I tried Clint's suggestion and went to adjust the file associations. For .msi files it linked with "freezip.." which I don't have, so it directed me to the Store. The Store cannot supply it, so since there were no other viable suggestions I set it to Internet Explorer. When i tried it, i got a couple of flashes and just an empty dialog box. Now, I cannot change it back to what it was since there is no "freezip..." file. I am stuck with having it on Internet Explorer. When I try to open with Winzip, I get the same thing, a couple of flashes and a box. What can I do from here?

Thanks
    You've mentioned 3 programs so far none of which should be associated with .msi files.

Have you tried right clicking on one of the files and selecting "Open with..." You may need to select an option to view all but the one you want is open with Windows Installer (or very similar)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. I mentionned 7Zip, because the one I have is a .msi file. There was also an ereader file some time ago. I don't remember which one. The one I really need now is from Interactive Brokers - it is an API which should self extract. As an aside, I can open and install it on my Windows 7 machine, but i need it on my Trading Computer, which is Windows 8.1. Also, yes, I have right clicked and i do not get a satisfactory option. I wish there were one. I would use it. Still cannot change my file extension back to what it was. Looking for more suggestion. Cheers. Jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    See if this can be of help: http://www.daniweb.com/software-deve...e-command-line

You could run the installer manually, when you need to or just try to associate the extension with msiexec.exe.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdogg View Post
    Hi:

I am running Windows 8.1, 64 bit. Applications install well, except for .msi self extractions, ie. 7zip. On double clicking, I get a colored dialog box with nothing in it. No dialog, no error message, nothing. What can I do to have the .msi self extractions process themselves?
    What is the download (program) that the .msi extension belongs to? Using 7zip, one has to extract the file first, generally to the same location, before you can install and run said download.

Thanks
    I think I misread your post, the file download is 7zip....eg the .msi file extension. Please disregard my previous post.

I just downloaded and installed 7zip .msi download with out a problem. Looks like you're in capable hands with the other advice.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    With all the info I received here, I finally managed to do an sfc check ( with administrator privileges ) and the scan told me there were unresolved problems it could not repair. So I decided to do a System Refresh ( with trepidation ). Worked out quite well. I have to reinstall a number of applications, but there were others I did not want anyway, so it will work out fine. Best part - The .msi file installed without a hitch! Now on to the reinstallations! Thank you everyone. My questions now are - having set up Windows 8.1 reasonably fresh, should I dispose of my old Startup file on my thumb drive, or keep it and do a new one?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    What Startup file are you asking about?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Snowdog,

If you're talking about the Win Recovery Disk (on USB) I'd create a new one. It can't hurt to make sure it doesn't have any problems. JMTC HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs