Thread: Using Safe Mode

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Safe Mode

I was using a HP printer for several years, but it seemed to give out last month. I didn't really check the symptoms with anyone, but instead purchased a Brother printer. I tried to remove as much of the HP software that was used by their printer, but not all of it would delete.
    Of course I had to install all the Brother software in order to use the new printer. I used the Brother for just short of a month but could not stand it. I packed it up and returned it to the place I bought it. Again, I tried to remove as much of any of the printer software I could but not all of it would delete.
    Yesterday I bought a new, different model HP printer, but have not yet installed either the hardware or software for it.

I thought that I could get rid of any lingering old software by using SAFE MODE, which I did.
    It seemed to delete folders and files I wanted deleted. But when I restarted my PC and checked the folders where these folders/files were, they still appeared to be in place; they did not delete for some reason, so it seems.

What did I do wrong. I was not sure how to get out of SAFE MODE, so I just turned off the PC and then turned it back on for a restart in the regular OS manner. Was it because of the way I restarted the PC, or was it something else.

Any help will be appreciated.

flavet
    Dell Inspiron 15R, 8GB, Win7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
    All help truly appreciated!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In All Programs in their respective folders there should be an Uninstall program file that you can run which should remove their software.

If you have removed that option by uninstalling the files that you have, then you could go into your Program Files and right click on those and select Delete.

An alternative, although this is probably too late for the HP, using a restore point prior to uninstalling the Brother software will reinstate it and then you can look for its Uninstall program file in its folder in All Programs.

To get out of Safe Mode you just Shutdown as you would normally and then restart normally.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

flavet (2014-01-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your post.
    Yes, I have bullied my way to remove most if not all remments of both the old HP and the newer Brother software. If there are any remaining items, so be it.
    By the number of files that I was able to remove, I am thankful for removing each one removed.
    I'll make a note of your post and look for the uninstall file should need to remove something wholesale.
    Dell Inspiron 15R, 8GB, Win7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
    All help truly appreciated!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    next time just leave the old software there

i have a phd computer science it tekkie friend whose motto is

NEVER DELETE ANYTHING

a bit extreme but he claims any deletion is a potential problem tht windows will bite you with some day
    he just lets every file accumulate forever

i leave all the printers installed
    sometimes i have to move them around between pcs
    and it saves reinstalling them

sometimes its annoying to hve to pick teh right printer to make it work
    but less of a pain than other messups due to a bad removal of software and related links can be

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not much point in leaving printers installed if you no longer have them and which would be taking up HDD space and memory.

Thanks
    @flavet - By default, the Windows Installer service won't run in Safe Mode so can't be used to install or uninstall programs. (This default behaviour can be changed but I doubt this is the case with your PC.) As a result you need to use the programs's uninstall program in normal Windows mode (not Safe Mode) so the uninstaller can, in turn, run the Windows Installer service.

(In essence, the Windows Installer service uses the program's installer to create a database of all the program's files/folders locations, registry entries and services created. Using the Windows installer service to uninstall the same program means the database is re-used to remove all the previously recorded items.)

The remnants of program files and folders can be cleaned manually but what's probably more important are any remaining services (and registry entries). Remaining services may affect performance, particularly any 'device monitors'.

A quick way of checking is to download and run Nir Sofer's ServiWin. It doesn't need to be installed. When it opens, click on Options in the menu and select Show Only Non-Windows Services. Next, click on the Company column header to sort the entries into alphabetical order. This will let you see any HP and/or Brother entries grouped together.

If you find any HP or Brother entries and you want us to help then hold down the CTRL key and click on each of the entries to select them. Next, in the File menu, select Save selected items. Save the text file to the desktop then post it here.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-02-28 at 12:56.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    next time just leave the old software there

i have a phd computer science it tekkie friend whose motto is

NEVER DELETE ANYTHING

a bit extreme but he claims any deletion is a potential problem tht windows will bite you with some day
    he just lets every file accumulate forever

i leave all the printers installed
    sometimes i have to move them around between pcs
    and it saves reinstalling them

sometimes its annoying to hve to pick teh right printer to make it work
    but less of a pain than other messups due to a bad removal of software and related links can be
    This is true up to a point. If something isn't hurting anything, then you can just leave it.

For example, when you move the printers around, you definitely should leave the printer drivers installed. That's the only way to go.

But when possible, I like to have a clean environment -- less clutter, more hard drive space.

So, in this example, if I ever get rid of a printer for good, I will uninstall its driver.