3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

unknown "delivery status notification (failure)" messages

Occasionally I receive messages with the above title. This morning I received many, saying that my (unsent by me) messages were unable to be delivered. The shown addresses were: boss@tv.tver, boss@tellur.spb, and additional "boss@" domains, including skify.ru, smol.farm, sykt.farm, ssmotrituda.ru, tambox.farm, tver.farm.

These look to me like my system is compromised. Is it? If so, what can I do to armor my system?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It just means someone faked your address to send spam, and there's not much you can do about it (except change your email address if it becomes overwhelming):

Someone is sending from my address

Bruce

Thanks
    I recently had this happen to me and after checking with my domain hosting company and sending them the full headers, they told me unless I had been vacationing in China, that I needed to change my passwords because the emails were showing as having in fact been sent through my mail server by me.

Since I had not been to China and I had not sent out the emails, I immediately changed all of my email passwords and it has stopped thank goodness. Hopefully yours was just forged to appear as if the emails came from you like Bruce said, but to be on the safe side, I would change my email passwords.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both.

This has been going on at a low level for a long time, but receiving eight in one morning was a bit scary!