New Lounger
    Thanks

Choosing computer components - memory

My old...ancient Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard with its AMD Athelon64 X2 processor has finally given up the ghost after probably 7 years of use. My case is still good, power supply was tested a few days ago, I upgraded to SATA hardware a few years ago, so now I want to build something new, recycling as much as I can. Update budget is $300 USD

I'm looking at:
    MSI FM2-A77MA-E35 - it will fit my existing Micro ATX case
    AMD A-10-5800K processor - 6 cores at a great price
    Memory - Here I'm stumped. I originally thought to fill it up with 16GB of PNY XLR8 DDR3 1600 memory, but wonder if I'm not better off getting 8GB of something faster. When I look at the fastest DDR3 memory, I notice that CAS jumps from the 7-9 range up to 11 and 12, am I misunderstanding, isn't lower better?

I am not doing hardcore gaming, some stuff in Sketchup, probably the most demanding task I'll do is wanting to devote 4 or 5 of those processors to running Boinc datasets 100% of the time. This is probably what most of the processor time for the last 7 years has been devoted to. I'm looking for longevity, another system that I will be content with for 5 years.

Next upgrade with be a SSD and possibly a dedicated video card, again tailored towards maximizing Boinc datasets.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Is that not an A75MA-E35 as Crucial's Memory Advisor doesn't have an A77MA-E35 listed http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx which gives http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/list...MA-E35&Cat=RAM with a CL 9.

You could Google for 2x4GB for those module types or ask Crucial if they could supply them.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-23 at 18:45.

Thanks
    Lower CAS is faster, It'll depend a lot on what your motherboard will accept too, so look around and do your homework.
    I doubt you'll notice much, or any performance difference between the ratings.

DDR3@1600 or greater is my rule. 16GB is probably overkill for you. I think 8-12GB is the sweet spot, running no less than 1600.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.