Thread: IE won't launch

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE won't launch

I had upgraded to IE 11 and had no problems. One day it just wouldn't launch. I downgraded to IE 10, but that didn't help. When I click on the icon to open it, the screen flashes up for a second or two and then shuts down. I did a disk check, and there appears to be no problem there. Not sure where to go from here, as I don't know a lot about IE. I generally use Firefox but lately that's been quite unstable and I've switched over to IE, which usually has been quite dependable, until now.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.

Have you run malware scans?

Joe

Thanks
    You need to fully uninstall IE 11. Once you have done that, you will be back to whatever version you had prior to upgrading to IE 11.

The following applies to Windows 7, but it will probably also apply to Windows 8 Desktop Mode.

There are three places you need to check to make sure it is fully uninstalled:

Control Panel / Programs and Features

1) Uninstall or change a program -- If you finde IE 11 listed here, right-click it and then choose Uninstall / Change.
    2) View installed updates -- If you find IE 11 listed here, right-click it and then choose Uninstall.
    3) Turn Windows Features on or off -- If you find IE 11 listed here, uncheck it, then click OK.

After doing all of that, reboot the computer. You should be back to a fully functional previous version of IE.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try resetting it to defaults first which you can do through All Control Panel Items/Internet Options and under the Advanced tab click on Reset and check all the options.

If that doesn't do it then you can reinstall IE by unchecking its box in Turn Windows features on or off through Programs and Features and then recheck its box.

Ideally you should have an alternative working browser before doing this, but I think you should be okay.

When IE becomes buggy then that can also affect other browsers as you are experiencing with FF, although that may have problems of its own.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-24 at 11:11.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had similar problem on Win 7 64 bit machine & read a bit about the "Winsock" file.
    "Resetting" it cured my problems. Can't hurt 2 give it a try.

1- right click on "CMD Prompt" & run as ADMINISTRATOR
    2- type "netsh winsock reset" & press "enter" key
    3- msg showed "reset" OK, so re-booted.
    4- my problem solved with a myriad of anomalies.

Hope this might help!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Usually, if IE opens and immediately closes, the problem is with add-ons. Click on the Start Menu, Browse "All Programs - Accessories - System Tools" to Internet Explorer (No Add-ons". If that opens, then you need to disable add-ons from Internet Options - Programs - Manage Add-Ons until you find the offending item.

Good Luck.

JohnBrown
    Halifax, NS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might try the free trial Anvi Browser Repair Tool.

Autoruns For Windows is a stong (if tech-ish) possibility.

Microsoft Fix-It is worth a try, and easiest of all if you are lucky.

I might add that I had great success with two different startup programs of my own using Autoruns after making that part of the post, but no luck with IE 11, which is bugging me as well. The original source of my browser problem, however, appears to have been a known browser hijacker, and both IE and Firefox are kaput, but Chrome is performing nicely. That is one peculiar argument for installing more than one browser.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2014-02-10 at 01:29. Reason: Expanding information

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same problem. IE 11 starts an opens an all white window and closes. I have

1. Run Microsoft Security Essentials, Mal
    2. Rum Malwarebytes Anti-malware
    3. From an elevated command prompt run sfc /scannow and netsh winsock reset
    4. Tried Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)
    5. Reset Internet options
    6. Removed IE 11 from Uninstall or change a program, Turn windows features on and off
    7. Removed IE 11 from Uninstall an update

So I have reverted to IE 10. But it's no better. The window title bar says Windows Internet Explorer not responding briefly, then closes. So I have also

8. Run Anvi Browser Repair tool
    9. Run Microsoft Fixit linked above
    10. Used autoruns to disable all remaining add-ons

While I mostly use Firefox, there are a few websites I need to access that only work with with IE.
    Anyone have any other suggestions? I don't really have a restore point I can use.

Thanks
    Try going back to IE 9.

Or, use ShellExView to disable all non-Microsoft DLLs, to see if the problem goes away; then reenable a few at a time, to see if the problem returns. If so, you can track down which DLL is the culprit, then disable it from loading.

Here's where to get ShellExView: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-02-17 at 15:19.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Disabling shell extensions didn't help. But removing the update for IE 10; then manually installing IE9 got me a working IE. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad it worked for you.

And Welcome to the Windows Secrets Lounge!