New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 oem question

I've read some related threads here but they are several years old. I have built my own pcs for 20 years. One year ago I built my girlfriend a new Win 7 oem box with the os bought from Newegg. I activated it no problem. I want to build another for my son but I was told by a friend in the business that the oem version, even though legally bought with a legitimate key, will not be activated anymore even though it is on a brand new system. I thought that if that is true I would buy a retail version. I can't find one that is not an oem. Anyone have any recent experience with this issue?

Thanks
    What are you trying to do?

Are you hoping that the OEM license will be valid for a new system you are building when it is already installed on another system?

PS Welcome to the forum!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I'll buy a new copy of Win 7 Home Premium which will come with new license, and install it on a brand new hard drive in a Amd/Gigabyte system that only runs Linux now. I built it 2 months ago but want to put Win 7 on it and give it to my son. I'm worried that with the changes to oem licenses I won't be able to activate because I am a "home builder" not a pro shop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starman38 View Post
    No, I'll buy a new copy of Win 7 Home Premium which will come with new license, and install it on a brand new hard drive in a Amd/Gigabyte system that only runs Linux now. I built it 2 months ago but want to put Win 7 on it and give it to my son. I'm worried that with the changes to oem licenses I won't be able to activate because I am a "home builder" not a pro shop.
    Whether you are a home builder or a pro shop doesn't matter, regarding licensing. If you buy an OEM version and use it on a new PC, even built by you, that is a legitimate use of an OEM version.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, ruirib, I'll go ahead then.

Thanks
    The key here with OEM...is that it's not transferable and it's permanently tied to that particular PC forever. With a retail OS, it is transferable...meaning you can install and uninstall as you like on any system....but only on one system at a time.