4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boot Failure Occurs When Restarting PC

Curious problem here. A cold boot is successful (after complete Shutdown). However, if the computer is up and running and i do a restart for some reason, then it fails to boot and says Insert Boot Media or Reboot and select system drive .... or words to that effect. In other words, on a restart it doesn't "see" the boot drive. More information: the boot drive is a Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD with the latest firmware. The SSD plus a Toshiba 2TB HDD are both connected to a SATA III add-on card, the SYBA SD-PEX40054 which plugged into a PCI-e X4 slot on the motherboard. There are 2 other HDDs and 1 other SSD connected directly to SATA II ports on the motherboard. Everything worked fine for several months after installing the SATA III add-on card. Recently, for some obscure reason i enabled Windows Update. It was after that when i began noticing the boot failure when doing a restart. Obviously, i can just shut down the PC and wait a few seconds then power it on again, but does anyone know how to fix the boot failure when restarting, please?

Thanks
    You might try seeing which Windows updates were installed after you enabled Windows Update. It is likely that one of them has caused the problem.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Uhh, hmm, well ....... there were 82 updates so it's kinda hard to know which one may have caused the problem!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's best to have WU enabled but set so that you can decide which to install and then if you have problems after any of the month's releases, it will be easier to nail down.

82 is quite a lot and not sure if this would encompass April 2013 updates as KB2823324 was causing boot problems in Win 7 but can't remember now if that one was pulled or fixed, so checking to see if that one is installed may negate the need to restore to prior the updates and then perform the long laborious task of installing just one at a time until the problem reoccurs.