Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 "Refresh Your PC" Problem

I tried to use the refresh your PC option in Win 8.1 and inserted my Win 8 DVD, but was told the disk was not valid, presumably because the disk is for Win 8 and not 8.1. How can I solve this problem?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    You don't need the disk to refresh you version of 8.1. It's built in to windows 8/8.1 natively. Have a look at this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...fresh-reset-pc

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi bassfisher6522, thanks I was aware of this but when I chose the Refresh option I was told some files were missing and that I needed to insert my installation media. My Win 8 DVD was said to be invalid, as I might have expected because I am trying to refresh Win 8.1, so I will have to seek help for this from Microsoft Support.

Regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to get help from Microsoft Support but was told the service is currently unavailable due to high demand. I tried the alternative of requesting a call from them and correctly entered my phone number but was told it is an invalid number! Typical Microsoft, so what do I do now to create a valid Windows 8.1 DVD?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    See if this procedure allows you to get an ISO: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...indows-81-dvd/
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-01-25),royw (2014-01-26)

Thanks
    Here is the official ISO link from MS....just select 8 or 8 .1. This will start the download automatically.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oduct-key-only
    Last edited by bassfisher6522; 2014-01-25 at 08:45.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bassfisher6522 For This Useful Post:

royw (2014-01-26)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui,

I tried to follow the procedure outlined in the link you gave me, but I misunderstood the reference to "when closing the download you'll return to the ...site". I assumed this meant I would automatically return to the site, but of course that wasn't the case. When I tried again I had no option other than to end up creating a Windows 8 DVD. I think I deleted all the files that had been created in my failed attempts, although I notice that files with the name $UpgDrv$ have been created on most of my drives. I assume these are not relevant.

I tried for a third time and redownloaded the setup installer, but when I ran that it went straight into an installing Win 8 routine, without asking for a product key.

Please advise what else I can try.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried bassfisher's link?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, yes I did try that link, but when I tried to use the refresh your PC option and got the "some files are missing" message and inserted the Win 8.1 DVD I was again told that the licence key I entered was invalid, even though it (the Win 8 key) was previously accepted.

Help!

Please advise further,
    Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    See if the way to get a different key suggested by Clint works: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ht=windows+8.1
    Rui
    -------
    R4

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

royw (2014-01-26)

Thanks
    Question; what was the original OS 8 or 8.1? If it was 8, did you upgrade through the MS store to 8.1?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not a Windows 8 person yet but I'm going to be buying one this year so I am interested in this subject
    --- Actually I'm planning on buying an 8.1
    --- However I have friends who have bought 8 and I'm more than confused on the best way to help them when they decide to upgrade to 8.1
    --- None of my friends got a Windows 8 DVD when they bought their computers

Where did you get your Windows 8 DVD from?
    --- Your Windows 8 DVD might be valid but doesn't seem to play nice with Microsoft's procedures natively
    And as requested, how did you upgrade to 8.1?
    --- If it wasn't through the Microsoft store it appears to me that can be a factor

Since you tried to refresh your PC and you are getting messages about missing files, were you having problems with your Windows 8 partition?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally was able to perform a fresh install of Windows 8.1 using the Windows 8.1 DVD and the Windows Professional Generic Product Key from the link provided by CLiNT, and when Windows Activation came up I used my original Windows 8 key and that was successful.

Sincere thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Best regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

17. The Following User Says Thank You to royw For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-01-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Royw
    May i request you to give us steps what you did for refresh your windows 8.1 Please.

I have also similar problem. I had laptop with window 7 and than bought upgrade for windows 8 and then when windows 8.1 came out i did upgrade.
    But since couple of day my laptop is running slow so i thought to refresh it. But it says i have missing files and windows 8 disk is invalid media. :-(

Please help.
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    I'm not a Windows 8 person yet but I'm going to be buying one this year so I am interested in this subject
    --- Actually I'm planning on buying an 8.1
    --- However I have friends who have bought 8 and I'm more than confused on the best way to help them when they decide to upgrade to 8.1
    --- None of my friends got a Windows 8 DVD when they bought their computers

Where did you get your Windows 8 DVD from?
    --- Your Windows 8 DVD might be valid but doesn't seem to play nice with Microsoft's procedures natively
    And as requested, how did you upgrade to 8.1?
    --- If it wasn't through the Microsoft store it appears to me that can be a factor

Since you tried to refresh your PC and you are getting messages about missing files, were you having problems with your Windows 8 partition?
    After upgrading to Windows 8.1 go to the Control Panel and search for "recovery disk". A link to "create a recovery drive" will show. If you want separate recovery media create the recovery drive.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast