Lounger
    Thanks

disabling site suggestions in Chrome

I have thus far spent two hours trying what must be all of the ways this disabling can be done and my version is 32.0.1700.76 and I still haven't been able to accomplish this. Perhaps this version is so new the instructions haven't caught up with the version but there are countless people interested in doing this and having trouble doing so. If they aren't deliberately trying to obfuscate it they must have a group of creative people who have a gift for it. I just want to totally get rid of the "help" they think this is. Can you spell P R I V A C Y. Any help you can be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Have you gone to settings > Show Advanced Settings > Under Privacy, Uncheck "Use a prediction service...." ?

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, Yes I went there and it wasn't checked but I still have the drop down window with lots of suggestions listed so that idea wasn't valid. None of the privacy listings were checked. I appreciate your replying and hope that others will too as I really would like to solve what has become quite a mystery.
    -Motiger-

Thanks
    I've just done what Jerry suggested and unticked the prediction service and it has worked. Typing "New York" in the address bar suggests (amongst other things) the New York Times. After unticking, the list was shorter and was comprised of sites I have already visited - actually it became no suggestions when I had got as far as typing "new y" (never searched for New York before!). I did restart the browser but I assume you have done the same.

Lounger
    Thanks
    My point was that I wanted no suggestions...period. Yes I can do what you suggest but that throws open the window with all their suggestions for that letter and it only disappears after you type several letters. To me that isn't disabling the function as it shares everything you have done within that letter and eventually disappears after it has been viewed by anyone using the computer. Thanks for writing but I still have hopes of totally disabling the function...as the other browsers do.
    -Motiger

Thanks
    What you're describing isn't anything to do with the prediction service.As I said above it's a list of all sites you've been to but where that list is kept I don't know. Clearing cache doesn't remove them (though you can delete individual entries by hovering over them and pressing delete, not that that helps you). Perhaps someone else knows where this info is stored - I thought it might be history but it isn't.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, obviously I am struggling with the labels that are put on things. Someone in the mass of information I have read did suggest that the prediction service might be involved but alas I can't recall where I might have read that. Just to be clear I am wanting to get rid of what site might have been visited before. This has the downside of letting anyone using this computer (and there are several) what subjects I might be interested in. Firefox and Internet explorer let you kill this entirely but if Chrome does its been hiden quite well. Google is well known for mining information and I might be hoping for something they don't want me to know. -motiger

Thanks
    I think the service you're looking for is autocomplete. A quick Google finds this page - http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/r...ome-21379.html - which may help, but searching for autocomplete chrome will give other pages. There's also going incognito (ctrl-shft-n) which may be what you want (but I haven't looked at all the implications of this).

Lounger
    Thanks
    I appreciate your kind interest but I have pretty much decided google doesn't want me to be able to get rid of this function so I guess I will just stay with Firefox. Im sure they will do just fine without me.