New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup with SSD and HDD

I few questions please. Little confused on a few things.
    Desktop with I-5 and Windows 8 and 8.1
    Old HDD 1 TB with win 8.
    Installed new SSD Samsung 840 pro 256 GB upgraded the win 8 to win 8.1 on this drive.
    SSD now main drive and should be large enough since I only now using 90G.
    Regular Image backups on both with the full paragon 14 software to a portable drive
    1. Can I take the old HDD and make two partitions with one being 256GB, same size as SSD. Not sure if I will ever use the other partition. Then occasional restore and image to it made of the SSD drive to the first partition?

2. Seems like this would be a good backup plan. If ever a problem I could just boot to the backup drive to get back up and running quick. I can unplag each drive as needed or leave them both plugged in. But I read somewhere that it is a bad idea to have two bootable drive connected at the same time. Is this a problem?

I do realize that a SSD & HDD need to be optimized differently. But with each drive I can run the Samsung magician software to easly optimize for the different types of drives. Maybe I am going overboard here and making this too complicated for a backup plan. Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

A few questions:

Why do you want to make two partitions on your old HDD? You can store images on the one big partition on your HDD. I personally prefer to have one big partition on the one big hard drive. I do see one advantage to having a separate partition for backups of the SSD: If you are going to back up the HDD to a separate, external drive, it would be very simple to back up either the entire data partition or the entire image partition, if you didn't want to back up both at the same time.

I think that regular backups to the internal drive are fine. But you need to also have regular backups to an external drive that is connected only when you do a backup, or to a backup service (e.g. Carbonite, Mozy), so that if malware gets onto your computer, it won't corrupt all of your backups.

You said that your desktop has Windows 8 and 8.1. Do you have both OSs on the one computer?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Welcome to the Lounge!

A few questions:

Why do you want to make two partitions on your old HDD? You can store images on the one big partition on your HDD. I personally prefer to have one big partition on the one big hard drive. I do see one advantage to having a separate partition for backups of the SSD: If you are going to back up the HDD to a separate, external drive, it would be very simple to back up either the entire data partition or the entire image partition, if you didn't want to back up both at the same time.

I think that regular backups to the internal drive are fine. But you need to also have regular backups to an external drive that is connected only when you do a backup, or to a backup service (e.g. Carbonite, Mozy), so that if malware gets onto your computer, it won't corrupt all of your backups.

You said that your desktop has Windows 8 and 8.1. Do you have both OSs on the one computer?
    I should have explained a little better. The portable drive would have backup images. The internal HDD would be more of a clone on that partition. So on the HDD I would not save an image. I would restore an image to it. So its always bootable and ready to go if needed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So really would have a clone that would always be ready to use. I likely would only do the clone every month or two. But then would have no worries about if a restored failed. Since it would be easy after the clone to test if it boots. Also I could have Windows File History always do its backup to this clone. So my Documents would always be safe and up to date.
    If the SSD failed. Boot to the clone so I would be up and running quick. Then just do a quick restore of file history to up date my documents.
    And I get some use out of the old HHD that I may not normally use,

What do you think?

Tag team spammer.
    Thanks
    HDD ,cheap