New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry AVG frustration after Mobiegenie infection.

This is a sorry story of frustration.
    I had upgraded my laptop with an SSD and to celebrate the "new" machine thought I would find a new wallpaper (landscape) and was shocked to find I was overtaken by Mobiegenie. Definitely worth avoiding. My AVG Internet Security 2013, always updated, found it after it was on board and failed to remove it despite being run in Safe Mode. I phoned AVG and they sent me AVG Autoruns to collect information and, having heard nothing from them, I phoned again as none of my browsers would work and I needed advice straight away.
    AVG then offered a technician to take over the machine for $120 as a one off solution or I could wait for anything up to 5 working days for a solution.
    2 days ago I re-cloned my hard drive from the old one and phoned AVG to say I was very unhappy with their service. I was then offered a free connection with the technician but I had to tell her it was too late as I had solved the problem. She told me how they had been inundated with calls for help recently. But what if I could not have solved it?

In time past I have had excellent support from AVG but then that was some years ago. I am now looking for a new security company and have good things about Bullguard but would be grateful for any suggestions.
    Am I over-reacting?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Well, I will start to say that no AV will protect you against all possible threats, so it is always possible that the infection could have occurred with other products. This said, it's clear that not only did their software not protect you, but their support service was unable to help you when you needed the most. Should that lead you to a different choice of providers? That's really your decision. If it were me, I would probably move from AVG.

Regards
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    What OS are you running? I've tried most of the big named AV's out there and always seem to end up going back to MS defender. It's a free download for windows 7 and earlier and is built in to windows 8/8.1.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rui, I am going to do just that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Win 7 64 bit on the laptop and Win 7 32 bit on the pc

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    AV programs block viruses and not malware (PuPs) which is why AVG or Windows Smartcreen Filter didn't spot it.

Assuming you meant Mobogenie and not Mobiegenie ?

For items like those you normally need anti-malware programs like MBAM and/or AdwCleaner as this article describes http://malwaretips.com/blogs/mobogenie-virus-removal/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    you are right Sudo on both accounts: I should have had anti-malware in addition to AVG Internet security and I have taken steps to remedy that. And it was Mobogenie. Not a word I would like to see on my screen again in a hurry.

But this was the AVG copy regards Internet Security 2013

You get: AntiVirus, AntiMalware (AVG Resident Shield), AVG Anti-Rootkit, AVG Email Scanner, AVG Protective Cloud Technology, AVG Community Protection Network, AVG LinkScanner® Surf-Shield, AVG Social Networking Protection

I now know this is not the case.

But this was not my beef. The problem was that useful support was not forthcoming and AVG used to be good at that.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    There are products that can detect PUPs. I think Malwarebytes is one of them, as it is Emsisoft's AntiMalware, my preferred AV / Antimalware solution.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

JJ Vevers (2014-01-28)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's the problem with PuPs, they are bundled with legitimate software and don't carry the malicious heuristics that security programs look out for as they appear to be legitimate programs themselves.

It's what they do once installed, but adding the free version of MBAM to your armoury as an additional scanner to your AV will normally root them out.

AdwCleaner is more adept at this as it is what it was designed for but it isn't a program that you keep on your computer as it doesn't have the means to update its Definitions, so a fresh install from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ is required each time you want to run it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

dacone (2015-08-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is finding a balance that I find difficult. In response to one of the very helpful replies I have tried Hitman Pro downloaded via SurfRight. After one day Hitman Pro regards SurfRight as a PUP and wants it out. A dog biting the hand that fed it! I might well try Emsisoft as suggested by Rui.

But many thanks for the above.

Jeremy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've never used Hitman Pro and have found AdwCleaner more that adequate to remove PuPs, but when you find that your browsers don't work, then trying IE without add-ons can point to a malicious add-on when you are able to browse, enabling you to download the right tool for the job but sometimes a restore point is all that is needed.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

JJ Vevers (2014-01-28)