Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB devices suddenly slow down

Recently, all of my USB devices, whether plugged directly into the machine or via a hub, are suddenly giving me the pop-up message (below), that "This device can perform faster..."

But they are plugged into a 2.0 port. They have been for the two years preceding this and all ran at 2.0 speed.

Now they all seem to be working at 1.1 speed (an external USB hard drive is now painfully slow for file transfers).

Any ideas or suggestions to correct this will be very much appreciated.

Capture of pop-up window:
    usb.JPG

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I've had that happen to me as well, just know you not alone. I've never found a cure/fix for mine...it just went away. That being said, make sure you have all the latest drivers installed and all the MS updates.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bassfisher. Windows 7 Ultimate and drivers verified are up to date.

About the time this happened, I had a carpet cleaned. The cleaning crew plugged in a steam and vacuum device that required two 15 amp power sources, and my UPS reported electrical noise that activated it. Can't be sure, but I suspect that may have caused it.

Do you remember how long it lasted before returning to normal?
    Did you do anything (restore image backup, reboot) that possibly helped to get the normal state back?
    I've tried everything I can think of, except reboot from a hard drive clone made the first of every month. That's next.

Thanks
    Heck...with electronics....anything is possible.

If memory serves me, days to a week...I think. NO restore, refresh or restore point used...I just let it run it's course.

Questions; does these happen with a particular usb device or all usb devices? How old are the usb devices....getting at the version type of each usb device...1.1/2.0/3.0?

Thanks
    Joro,

You might try this:
    1. Unplug all your USB storage devices.
    2. Go into Device Manager and Uninstall all your USB devices.
    3. Reboot and let Windows reload everything.

HTH

BTW: You might want to have a recent Image backup JIC!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had this happen with a USB 3.0 device. I did everything mentioned with no luck. Then I changed the cable and that solved the problem. Cables can go bad.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Schmootoo For This Useful Post:

joro (2014-01-27)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    If Windows is loading the wrong driver then this article may help http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-problems.html

A Hard Reset should reset the USB ports which is done by removing all cables and peripherals and battery if a laptop, then hold the Power button down for 30 secs.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-01-27)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried most of the suggestions offered - for which I am most grateful.

Strange things happen. When this problem started, even when I plugged my USB devices directly into the computer's ports, rather than a powered hub that I usually use, the "can go faster" message continued to appear.

This morning I was able to get a new USB cable for the hub and plugged all the devices back into it. Things seem to be working fine now (but this is only 20 minutes later - I'll see what happens over a bit more time, and meanwhile I'm applying the most reliable scientific technique: I have my fingers crossed).

Mahalo ('thanks in Hawaiian) to all who took the time and kindness to offer help.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    If you notice that the USB intermittently disconnects and then reconnects prior to getting this error message and your OS is in the Applies to of this MS article, then you could try the Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2416007/en-us

Also came across http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/usb-speederror/ which suggests something that you could check in the BIOS, but you could also check to see if there are any BIOS updates for your machine/motherboard.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Sudo.

At first I thought the 7 port powered hub was the problem, and after finding a new one on eBay, I bought it (expected delivery 1/30). But that may have been jumping the gun, since it seems to be working OK right now, some 6 hours after changing the cable.

After checking, there is no newer update for my BIOS.

Some of the USB devices did sometimes disconnect - but didn't reconnect on their own. Sometimes unplugging all the USB devices and then plugging them back in fixed it for a while. To see if the hot-fix you recommended would help, I d/l and tried to install it (Win 7 64 SP1), but the installation process told me that this patch was not compatible with my system.

But most important, I'm no longer getting the 'this device can run faster' pop-up when I plug in a device. And that's why I started this thread.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    As you had said that the message appeared even when you plugged the USBs directly into the computer, that would normally have eliminated the hub/cable as the cause and hence my suggestion, but not sure why you got the incompatible message for the Hotfix if your OS is listed in the amended Applies to list at the bottom of the article.

I suppose it's possible that a dodgy cable could have been disrupting the drivers and renewing it enabled them to load correctly ?

Anyway, glad it's sorted.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-28 at 03:45.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In total agreement with your comments. But I still can't figure out why the hotfix wouldn't install. The download site showed the file for Win7 64, which is what I have. Here's the pop-up:

hotfix.JPG

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    On reflection, while the article said to only apply the Hotfix if the symptoms applied to your computer, just as you can sometimes get updates that won't install because they don't apply to your system this may have been a case where Windows/MS recognised that your registry didn't need to be changed and produced that message - but just a guess.