Thanks

WD backup software

Has anyone used the backup software that comes installed on Western Digital My Passport drives?

If so, any opinions one way or the other, as opposed to using something like True Image?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    I've not, then again I don't have any WD drives. The only backup software I've used is Acronis and Aomei.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've seen it on several of my drives but have never installed it so can't help there. In general I steer around any local backup solution sourcing from one company's drive but if it were comprehensive and adaptable it might be alright. I get the impression from reading forums that many times there's a little too much proprietary limitation in using such software.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Chuck,

I have many WD drives but I don't use the provided software on purpose! I reformat/partition the drive before using and then use Macrium Reflect Pro.
    I used to use the Free version but liked it so much I figured they deserved some payment. I had used Acronis before that but gave up on it several years ago after experiencing problems which may be fixed by now. YMMV HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From their website (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=940) it appears to be file backup only. Nothing wrong with that if it's what you're looking for, but just be aware it's not backing up your operating system. Has mixed reviews, but the sample size is too small (12 customers) to judge anything from it. You might want to try Acronis True Image WD Edition Software (http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...19&wdc_lang=en). That will give you a full image backup. Seagate has something similar called Seagate Disc Wizard and I've used it successfully for the last few years to backup from two internal hard drives to a single external hard drive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    I used to use the Free version but liked it so much I figured they deserved some payment.
    Very thoughtful. Sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    I had used Acronis before that but gave up on it several years ago after experiencing problems which may be fixed by now. YMMV HTH
    I believe that the current version of Seagate Disk Wizard is a version of Acronis True Image. It strikes me as a very solid product. I too was unimpressed with Acronis TI a few years ago. However, if Seagate Disk Wizard is representative of the current version of Acronis TI, then they have won me back.

Thanks
    RG, I've been using Acronis and haven' t noticed any major issues. Some things I wish were different -- like command-line support -- but then, oh well. Maybe I'll take a look at Macrium.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"