Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought a card for my older Dell tower, for a PCI *not* Express slot. After weeks of trying to get it to work, including an exchange in case the card was bad, the manufacturer finally decided that my chipset was incompatible. He then gave me chipset specification to look for another card but no vendor was willing to go through the trouble of verifying compatibility based on those specs. Since you seem to be pretty savvy in these matters, any suggestions about how to get the right card would be appreciated. (The chipset business sounded a little fishy; I think it was a driver issue.) I'd like to have USB 3.0 to speed up backups to external drives.

Thanks very much.

Thanks
    The PCI "not Express" bus is limited to 1.3 Gbps. USB 3.0 is capable of data transfer rates up to 5 Gbps.

Lounger
    Thanks
    How fast is USB 2.0, which I have now? (Trying to determine if it still makes sense to go to 3.0 even if I can only get 1.3 gbps out of it.)

Thanks
    USB 2.0 is 480 mbps

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. Any recommendations for a PCI card? The one that didn't work for me was the:
    "StarTech.com 4 Port PCI SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Adapter Card with SATA/SP4 Power-Quad Port PCI USB 3 Controller Card PCIUSB3S4"

Thanks
    You're welcome. I'm not at all familiar with PCI-to-USB3.0 adapters but, it looks like Newegg has one more, a Koutech IO-PU430.

Thanks
    At Newegg.com, under Computer Hardware>Accessories>Add-on Cards, look for PCI to USB cards with USB3.0 and 4-Ports. They have USB2.0 and PCIe cards in the selection, so be careful. Compare cards you might like, but stay away from the cheap ones. Read the reviews and see if someone had the same trouble you had and how they selected the proper card for their system. This will take time, but is well worth it to obtain the proper card for you.

Thanks
    I got this one from Amazon in May of 2012 for $9.99 (shipping included). Works great.

Anker USB 3.0 PCI Express Card with 2 Port

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12