Lounger
    Thanks

Backup image files not being located

Hi All,

I have a Windows 7 computer which I purchased second hand with the OS pre-installed.

I use the machine for test purposes and wipe the drive after every test and then reinstall from an image backup made with Windows 7's own backup program. The backup files are on an external USB HDD.

This has performed flawlessly for the past months until yesterday when I wiped the drive and tried to do a reinstall from the image on the external HDD, but the program refuses to 'see' the image files even though they are in the 'WindowsImageBackup' folder !!

I have used the external HDD to backup two other computers, so the 'WindowsImageBackup' folder looks something like this ...

Computer 1 backup folder
    Computer 2 backup folder
    Computer 3 backup folder (old image)
    Computer 3 backup folder (new image)

When I launch the restore using the boot disk created when I first started backing up, the first two images for computers 1 & 2 are listed but the two for the machine in question (computer 3 don't show up at all !

I have tried removing the folders for the first two computers in case this was causing the problem although these have always been present when I've restored computer 3 so I didn't think that removing them would help, which it didn't.

I have also tried restoring with just computer 3 (old image) and also computer 3 (new image) installed in the 'WindowsImageBackup' folder, all to no avail as neither are being 'seen' by the backup/restore program.

As the computer was purchased with Windows 7 pre-installed it didn't come with any media and the original OS appears to have been Vista.

I am now bald, having torn all my hair out so if anyone has either an answer to this, or a wig, I would be most happy to hear from them.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hmmm... not sure what to suggest.

Have you run a chkdsk on the drive?
    Have you checked inside the folders? Are the .vhd files there and have a size different from zero?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I haven't yet checked the disk although I wouldn't have thought that this would have been a disk problem as both images for the computer are not being seen. Out of curiosity I started the process on a different computer in case it was a hardware problem but the same two images for compter 3 are still not showing even though the other two images are showing OK. Yes, I've checked to ensure the image files are OK and not zero.

I'll run chkdsk just to be doubly sure and let you know the outcome.

Graham