3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Media Machine - what screen to choose?

I am setting up a new installation at home for multimedia. This will consist of:
    -3D HD Smart TV - about 50" (with integrated wifi and preferably also camera for Skype)
    -Home Theatre system (hopefully Bluray player with plenty of good sound!)
    -DVD Recorder (Legacy)
    -Sattelite TV Decoder (PVR)
    -Media PC - Small Asus EEPC with 500Gb HDD, Bluray / DVD player, 2GB RAM (to be upped to 4GB) and Win7 Pro.

I would like some inputs regarding the following:
    Which make TV is best? (Samsung / Sony)
    Is there a specific model that I should look for?

I also want to link my wife and daughter's iPads to the TV - I am guessing that I will need an AppleTV for that?

On the little PC I have Windows 7Pro. What programmes do I need to be able to watch or record online movies / Netflix? I also use an older PC for file backups, and also to view photos (lots!) and play my music collection at the same time when we have friends or family over.

Your suggestions will be very helpful! Thanks in advance

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I've always subscribed to the notion that the best TV is the one that looks best to you. Go see several in stores. Pick one or more that have the features you want, look good to you, and fit within your budget. Then do your homework on the internet to check other opinions particularly about reliability.

Netflix is a relatively cheap way to watch movies and catch up on past seasons of a series. As long as you have the bandwidth you get a very good picture. There are other pay services available such as Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime which can add more to your movie/series availability for not a lot of money. If you shop Amazon regularly another benefit of Prime is the 2 day shipping. OTOH, if you subscribe to Satellite TV already you may be able to add premium movie channels as part of a package for not much more than what you pay now.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips. I was wondering more about what people's impressions were and why they had bought the particular brand - a little hard won experience!

Sattelite TV is great, but is expensive, and getting more so. We watch very little - mostly series, and the odd movie, so it is something that I might consider swopping if there is a good reception for Netflix or other streaming TV. Will keep an eye out!

Thanks agian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I don't have a TV that large so I can't give you personal impressions about brand. I haven't asked friends or relatives either.

Remember, "reception" for Netflix or any streaming service is only as good as your broadband connection. If you have any download limits on your internet service, streaming will likely exhaust your quota in a hurry.

Joe