Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boot Problem In Win 8.1

I have 2 SSD's, one running Win 7 Pro and the other running Win 8.1, but I can't distinguish between them in the BIOS because the description of both is identical.

The last time I was able to boot Win 8.1 it was working perfectly. Now however when I try to boot Win 8.1 I am told "Your PC needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed". None of the options on the screen are accessible.

If I boot from my Win 8.1 DVD, which worked perfectly when I installed Win 8.1, it doesn't work.

In Win 7 the first screen in Easy BCD shows the following details:

"There are a total of 3 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Microsoft Windows 7
    Timeout: 20 seconds
    Boot Drive: C:\

Entry #1
    Name: Windows 8.1
    BCD ID: {718a217b-3d0f-11e3-9771-9858dc1cdd1a}
    Device: unknown
    Bootloader Path: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
    Name: Microsoft Windows 7
    BCD ID: {current}
    Drive: C:\
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #3
    Name: Macrium Reflect System Recovery
    BCD ID: {dd3e59ac-8670-11e3-ad9b-5404a6488cc3}
    Device: [C:]\boot\macrium\wa5kfiles\media\sources\boot.wim
    Bootloader Path: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe"

Urgent help to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Entry #1
    Name: Windows 8.1
    BCD ID: {718a217b-3d0f-11e3-9771-9858dc1cdd1a}
    Device: unknown
    Bootloader Path: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe
    I note that Device: unknown appears where I would expect a drive letter as it does in my dual boot system (see attached).
    EasyBcd.JPG

While booted in Windows 7 is there a listing of the Windows 8 drive in Explorer? Hopefully, this will help in trouble-shooting. Perhaps an administrator will offer more assistance after your results are posted.

Rich

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rich, thanks for your reply.

In your attachment the drive letter for Win 8.1 is D at the top of the Window, but C below that. Why is that? Also, do I change my entries in Easy BCD while booted in Win 7 or Win 8.1?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    EasyBCD allows for changing the order of the operating systems and which is the default when booting. However, you should check your drives/partitions with Disk Management to see if the 8.1 partition is displayed and has a drive letter assigned to it.

Rich

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I boot Win 7 Local Disk (C) is Win 7, as you would expect, and Local Disk (K) is Win 8.1.

All drives have drive letters in Disk Management.

When I boot to Win 7 there is no problem.

When I try to boot Win 8.I get a Blue Screen with the option to "Repair your PC" but that doesn't work.

If I restart and go into the BIOS boot priority screen 2 SSD's are listed. (Both operating systems are installed on identical SSD drives). They are listed as P1 and P2, but I have no way of knowing which is which. Whether I choose to boot P1 or P2 I get the option to boot Win 7 or Win 8.1, but I cannot select Win 8.1.

This must be due to the way I have reconfigured EasyBCD, because prior to doing that I could boot Win 8.1 by choosing P1 in the BIOS boot priority screen.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could please tell me, step by step, how I should configure EasyBCD.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    You could try the procedure listed here:
    https://neosmart.net/wiki/easyre/rec...omated-repair/

Jerry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

rmonroe36 (2014-01-29)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, this Neosmart tool escaped my notice and is an excellent next step for royw.
    However, he may not wish to purchase.

Rich
    Last edited by rmonroe36; 2014-01-29 at 17:04. Reason: Addition

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Suggest you try the following.
    From within Windows 7, run EasyBCD and choose Advanced Settings from menu on left. On top right, Select the OS (Windows 8).
    Bottom right look for Drive and choose the correct drive letter. I believe you identified Windows 8 as letter drive K. Make sure that is the case. Hope this helps.

Rich

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry and Rich, thanks but Rich your suggestion didn't work, and Jerry the following is the text of the email I sent yesterday to EasyRe:

" I downloaded the program and burned the ISO to a bootable CD. I then chose
    to boot my PC from the CD drive by choosing that option in the BIOS.

When the CD booted I chose automated repair of Windows 8.1, as Windows 7,
    which is on a separate disk, previously booted normally. However, although
    your program said it succeeded, when I removed the CD and chose to boot
    Windows 8.1 it resulted in a blue screen, and my only option was to attempt
    repairs with my Windows 8.1 DVD. That didn't work. Not only that but I could
    not boot Win 7 either! My only option then was to restore Win7 and Win 8
    from my Macrium Reflect Rescue CD, which worked.

I tried booting from your program's CD more than once, and on one occasion
    got a long list of very technical details, the first line of which read as
    follows:

VFS: Cannot open root device "null" or unknown- block (0,0).

I can now boot Win 7 without any problem, but the only way I can boot Win
    8.1 is to choose the boot option P1 from the BIOS, and that works, although
    that method is obviously inconvenient. (I should mention that Win 7 and Win
    8.1 are on identical SSD drives, and the BIOS description for both, which
    refers to them as P1 and P2, is identical. (I can't boot from P2).

Can you please tell me URGENTLY how to fix the Win 8.1 boot problem.

Apart from the above, can you please arrange for the email giving me the
    license code for your program to be resent to me, as that was not included
    in the Macrium Reflect backup image.

Your URGENT reply would be appreciated".

If you have any further suggestions, pending a reply from EasyRe, I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For the bit you mention where you have problems knowing which is which drive in the BIOS, depending on the motherboard you may be able to tell with a quick peek in the case. Some motherboards will label each individual SATA controller with a number, and so the first number in the chain of cables will appear first in the BIOS. Follow the cable for each drive, make a note of which socket they plug into, and what the number is, then examine the BIOS.

What can sometimes snafu that is when the label on the motherboard is 1-based (e.g., "1, 2, 3, 4") and the BIOS is 0-based (e.g., "0, 1, 2") It's just something to watch for...for example, if you see the cable in Socket 1, and the BIOS says "Drive 0", that may be the same thing. ;-)

I then tend to use a sharpie to mark the drives, so in future I know which has which OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    tbbennett, thanks but I have no confidence in my ability to open the case and do anything inside it.

Do you, or does anyone else, have any other suggestion?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    tbbennett, thanks but I have no confidence in my ability to open the case and do anything inside it.

Do you, or does anyone else, have any other suggestion?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    As a shot in the dark, try:

1. In Win 7 open the Disk Management and make note of the drive letter shown for both Win 7 and 8.1.

2. If Win 8.1 has no drive letter, assign one and make note of it.

3. Open Easy BCD and in Edit, delete the entry for the "unknown". Save and go back to Add new Entry and add the entry using the 8.1 Drive letter. Don't worry, it'll change to C:\ after boot and shouldn't be a problem. The assigned drive letter from Disk Management is used so that the proper drive can be found to start the boot process as I understand it. Could be wrong about that but it works for me.

Hope this Helps!

Thanks
    The actual bootmgr that reads the BCDStore looks at drive/partition, not drive letters (drive 0 partition 2, for example). EasyBCD uses drive letters because it runs under Windows, but it does the actual work using the same drive/partition info the the bootmgr looks for.

My guess is that your drive K used to be drive D (and Windows somehow pooched it), since a dual boot Windows configuration usually sets up that way. If you can successfully use Disk Management to change the drive K to drive D, you should be able to get EasyBCD to configure Windows 8. Drive D may be in use (for your optical drive, maybe), so you might have to change a couple of drive letters around in order to get Windows 8 on drive D (my DVD drive is F, for example).

Whenever I boot into Windows 7, it's on drive C and Windows 8 is on drive D. When I boot into Windows 8, it's on drive C and Windows 7 is on drive D. That's the way Windows handles it.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

rmonroe36 (2014-01-31)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post

My guess is that your drive K used to be drive D (and Windows somehow pooched it), since a dual boot Windows configuration usually sets up that way. If you can successfully use Disk Management to change the drive K to drive D, you should be able to get EasyBCD to configure Windows 8. Drive D may be in use (for your optical drive, maybe), so you might have to change a couple of drive letters around in order to get Windows 8 on drive D (my DVD drive is F, for example).

Whenever I boot into Windows 7, it's on drive C and Windows 8 is on drive D. When I boot into Windows 8, it's on drive C and Windows 7 is on drive D. That's the way Windows handles it.
    I dual boot with 7 on C: and 8.1 on N:. Since I originally ran 7 it always appeared as C: as usual. When I added 8/8.1 using Win7 Disk Management I split the primary C: partition to install 8/8.1 on its primary partition designated as N: which works as you stated, N: becomes C: as boot for 8.1 but then Win 7 "disappears" from File Explorer because it not longer is C:. Fixed that for backup purposes by using 8.1 DM to designate it as N: when in 8.1. Seems to work well for me that's why I made the suggestion. What may have made this feasible for me is the fact that I only use an extended partition with D:, E:, etc.. This extends across three HDDs with two of those having single partitions. Again, for my backup convenience. Two machines are setup like this with no problems in the network.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren, I tried to change the existing drive letter D to another letter, so that I could then change the drive letter for K to D, but whatever available drive letter I chose I was told that the parameter is incorrect.

How do I sort this out?

Roy Whitethread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast