Thanks

Should I run Installed Programs as Administrator or as Open

Obviously, I'm new to Windows 7 (moved from XP)...and this forum...

While I understand installing a program using "right click - run as administrator" --- once the program is installed, should I set the shortcut property to "run as administrator" or just leave it at the default setting of "Open"? In other words, what is the best practice... Or is it just trial & error (if the program has problems, "run as administrator", otherwise just "Open")?

Note that I am the sole user of the desktop computer, and most of my programs were released years ago (Photoshop CS3, Office 2007, etc.).

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but after searching the forum, I couldn't find a specific answer to my question.

Jim

Thanks
    It depends on the program itself....whether it has some privileges built into it that will allow changes to be made to it or with using it. Point in case, Spybot S&D 1.62, to turn off software that runs at start up you have to enable "run as administrator" before you can disable startup software using that software. For the most part you can run any software as is...until you find out otherwise.

Thanks
    Hi Jim,
    WSL.JPG

You are using the correct method (almost) to install programs. How to Install.pdf so you wont need to run them as Admin. this only applies to some portable programs.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Best practice is to run as non-admin user and use "run as administrator" only when absolutely necessary.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks, will do it like you suggest.

Jim