New Lounger
    Thanks

windows 7 doesn't recognize my fax machine

I have a Laserjet 3055 all-in-one printer with printer, fax, scanner functionalities. Came with Vista/XP driver cd. I recently upgraded my desktop to Win7Professional 64-bit system. Plugged in USB and got updated driver, but whereas my XP used to recognize both a printer device and a fax device with separate icons....now my new computer recognizes only the printer function and not the fax. Nothing recognizes the fax and I have lost my fax machine for all intents / purposes. I cannot find how to get the computer to recognize the fax. I am not trying to fax through Windows...i just want my external fax machine to work again (seems like it shouldn't be very difficult...just update driver, connect phone line into back of fax, then connect fax to computer with usb...and off to the races...BUT this isn't working). Am I missing something really easy?

Thanks
    Try using the driver listed on this page and then use Windows Fax and Scan.
    http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/sit...tte.cachetoken

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-01-27 at 13:18. Reason: left out URL

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry. But I have already tried that...my computer says I have the latest driver (which occurred when I plugged the fax machine's USB cable into the computer and it auto-updated), it won't give me the option to add on a faxing functionality, and Windows Fax and Serve is dedicated to the internal Windows fax functionality (it presupposes that I will be using either a fax modem connected to the pc or a dedicated fax server) and not to managing peripherals like a fax machine. Any other thoughts out there?

Thanks
    If all you want to do is use the fax machine separate from Windows, you shouldn't have to install a driver anywhere in order to get it to work. Simply connect it to your phone line, and then go through the fax setup to make sure everything is configured correctly.

Try unplugging it from the computer, then powering it off then on. Make sure the fax setup is all done. Now send and receive a test fax. If it fails, then there is something wrong with the HP all-in-one.

If you successfully send and receive a test fax, you should then be ready to install the driver that Jerry linked to above, in order to get it to scan and print in Windows 7. First, uninstall whatever driver(s) is currently installed for the device. Reboot. Now install the Windows 7 driver. But don't connect the device to the computer until it tells you to.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-01-27 at 13:48.