New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007: Protect a template but freely edit the resulting document?

I have a quandry that I'm not sure can be solved (but I'm willing to try!)

I have created a series of templates (saved as .dotx) for our office and am encouraging everyone to begin fresh with the documents. The vast majority merely double click the name of the template in the directory and that auto-creates a fresh document clone, usually named by default "document 1". This is fine.

However, some individuals have gotten into the habit of right-clicking the template name and clicking 'open' - which opens the actual base template file instead of a fresh document.

I've spent HOURS creating these and am afraid that someone will unknowingly overwrite the actual template file which will then delete my work.

Is there a way to put protections on the template file that will not translate over to the resulting clean document? The resulting documents have far too many variables to put any sort of protections on them, but I don't want folks messing up my templates.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Normally we put these templates into a folder that has network protection on them so that only selected individuals have write access to the entire folder.

You could also set the documents to 'read only' by right clicking them in Windows Explorer and choosing Properties. This is easier for users to circumvent but certainly stops unintentional modifications to the templates.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2014-01-27)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There must be a way to do what you wish
    --- When I was in the working world, I had access to forms to fill out my project and monthly reports

I'm reading a PCsolutions magazine I just bought with an article titled "Word's got a form for that"
    --- The article appears to be very similar to the attached link and it ends by stating "When you next open the form it should open as fresh document that users can complete by tabbing from field to field
    --- To me that indicates for those in your office who are opening the form it will do what you want it to do: opens as a fresh document

See if this helps Create forms that users complete or print in Word
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...010030746.aspx
    This website is for Word 2010 but it does seem to accomodate Word 2007

If that doesn't help, see if there's a local computer club around and ask them for ideas

Thanks
    Thank you for your thoughts, but I'm afraid you are confused. He knows how to create the form. He does not want the template opened; he wants a new document created, based on the template.
    Andrews suggestions are the best available advice.

See Templates in Microsoft Word for clarification.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2014-01-28 at 16:40.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    mhblake, I'd like to make an attempt to explain better at what I submitted as I am not confused
    3 of your statements are
    "The vast majority merely double click the name of the template in the directory and that auto-creates a fresh document clone, usually named by default "document 1". This is fine"
    "However, some individuals have gotten into the habit of right-clicking the template name and clicking 'open' - which opens the actual base template file instead of a fresh document"
    You are "afraid that someone will unknowingly overwrite the actual template file which will then delete my work.
    I get what you are saying

I didn't say that the information and link I posted will solve your problem as I donít know yet but I was hoping you could evaluate and see if it's helpful to you
    According to the article I was reading I did state "The article appears to be very similar to the attached link and it ends by stating "When you next open the form it should open a fresh document that users can complete by tabbing from field to field"
    --- Since you cannot control when someone opens a template name I was hoping the fact that "When you next open the form it should open as a fresh document that users can complete by tabbing from field to field" would eliminate the problem you are having even when someone does open a template name
    --- Whether or not that will satisfy your needs I don't know but I am not confused
    --- At the same time even if that article is helpful for you I don't know whether or not you can incorporate your templates into that process or if you have to redo all of the work you have done
    --- Your feed back will let us know
    --- Maybe I could have written my explanation better but I hope you get the picture

I did check out "See Templates in Microsoft Word for clarification" and it is an excellent source for Template Basics but I donít see a reference on how to control what happens when someone does choose to open a template which in turn opens the actual base template file instead of a fresh document
    --- Naturally if anything in there does solve your issues, thatís great and please let us know what did work for you

I have a similar issue that you mentioned with some batch files I have available for 6 office personnel but I have a work around that controls how the batch are now controlled which is another story
    --- At the same time when you do come up with a solution I'd be interested in it as I'd like to have a similar system for the Word documents they work on

It certainly isn't easy to find how to solve the right click issue that opens the actual base template
    --- I discarded checking out me recommendation Create forms that users complete or print in Word since it doesn't address templates but Charles link to Templates in Microsoft Word is applicable to what you are doing
    --- I just found this link http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...10237363.aspx; however I cannot find the answer in there either but maybe you might be able to notice something that's helpful if you want to check it out

But in the meantime would it be possible for you to save a duplicate of each one of the templates you created but save them only for yourself either in a different folder or onto a flash drive?
    --- For example Template 1 is accessible for the office personnel but you have a Template 2 to fall back on in case Tempplate 1 does get overwritten?
    --- I know it isn't an actual solution, just a workaround
    Last edited by macropod; 2014-08-28 at 18:58.

Thanks
    OK

If your template is set up so macros can be run, the following macro create a new document based on the template and close the template.

Code:
    Sub AutoOpen()

'   This procedure written by Charles Kenyon 2014-01-29
    '
    '   When placed in a template, it prevents opening the template as a document
    '   A new document is created based on the template and the template is closed
    '
    Dim blResponse As Boolean

If ActiveDocument.Type = wdTypeTemplate Then
        blResponse = MsgBox(Prompt:="You should not open this template!", _
            Buttons:=vbOK + vbExclamation, _
            Title:="This is a Template")
        Else
    '        MsgBox ("This is a Document")
            Exit Sub ' since this is already a document skip the rest
    End If

Documents.Add Template:=ThisDocument.FullName, _
            NewTemplate:=False, DocumentType:=0
    '   Next code line closes the template - comment out if you want to edit template
        ThisDocument.Close False
    '   Then save template with line commented out

End Sub
    The message box can be commented out or changed.

For information on how to use a macro in your template see Installing Macros by Graham Mayor
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is something called the Form Tool..... quite handy!

Why not make your template files Read only? If someone wants to save, it will automatically ask them to save as a new file name......

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post
    There is something called the Form Tool..... quite handy!
    Hardly relevant to the discussion at hand. The OP has a template already and merely wants to prevent unauthorised changes.
    Why not make your template files Read only? If someone wants to save, it will automatically ask them to save as a new file name......
    That option was suggested in post #2. It is also far less secure than putting the templates in a secure folder, as recommended in the same post.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Found a way using macro in the template's ThisDocument. May be useful to original poster

public aDoc as word.document 'in a standard module

Private Sub Document_Close()

If aDoc Is Nothing Then Set aDoc = ActiveDocument
    With aDoc
    'in case you forgot to re-protect
    If .Type = wdTypeTemplate And .ProtectionType = wdNoProtection Then
    aDoc.Protect wdAllowOnlyReading
    End If
    End With
    Set aDoc = Nothing
    End Sub

Private Sub Document_New() 'Runs when creating NEW document BASED on this template

Const C_PROC_NAME = "Document_New"
    Set aDoc = ActiveDocument

'Without this bit, new doc based on template is also protected
    With aDoc
    If .Type = wdTypeDocument And .ProtectionType <> wdNoProtection Then
    aDoc.Unprotect
    End If
    End With
    Call GridLines_ShowForm

End Sub

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Gues what happens with a user who has macros disable? Really, this whole issue was quite adequately addressed by Andrew Lockton in post #2. Nothing posted as an alternative since then has come close to the simplicity and effectiveness of that solution.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]