Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Using WinXP Pro on 1 PC and Win 7 or 8.1 on another, networked?

Here's my problem. I currently have Win XP Pro with all of my favorite programs, aps, photos, music files etc. on my home PC. Since support is ending for XP very soon, I am going to have to purchase another PC. I've made up my mind to go with a laptop since I will be able to use it more easily and in more locations than if I had another desktop. I've also been convinced that 64 bit is the only way to go. Until now, all of my computing was done at home, since I do not work outside my home. Now, however, I am going to be doing a 180 mile round-trip commute three days each week for dialysis treatments and will be bored out of my mind without my computer. I am at a loss deciding which OS to purchase, trying to choose between Win 7 Professional or Win 8.1. I do not really have the time nor the patience to learn an entirely new system, which is how Win 8.1 has been described to me, but I do not know if Win 7 Professional will do what I am hoping to do.

What I am hoping for is this: that I can use my new laptop online at home with my DSL wired access, and wirelessly when I am not at home, by using the Wi-Fi available at the clinic. I cannot afford to buy any new peripherals (printer, scanner, router, etc.) so I am wondering if it is possible to set up some kind of home network that will allow me to transfer files back and forth from the laptop to the desktop PC and access my printer etc, in that fashion, and still have access to all of my data on the old machine.

Does anyone have an opinion or any advice for me before I commit to a purchase? I would be most grateful for any assistance in this.
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
    It's about learning to dance in the rain. "

Thanks
    If you get a touch screen laptop, then you can utilize the new Windows 8 interface. If you install one of the Start Menu addons (e.g. StartIsBack), your Windows 8 laptop can easily be made to operate just like Windows 7.

You won't know how you feel about the new interface until you try it. Some love it, some hate it. Therefore, if you want the best of both worlds, with the ability to switch back and forth at will between the new tablet interface and the traditional Windows 7 style interface, go with the above described setup.

I agree with you about 64 bit. Unless you have a compelling reason to go with 32-bit, such as must have software or peripherals which will not work under 64 bit, go with 64 bit.

Since everything is already set up and working on your XP machine, you can easily share everything to the Windows 8 computer. I know that this is true in an XP / Windows 7 environment. It's more complicated when the things you want to share are connected to the Windows 7 (and likely the Windows 8) computer.

Thanks
    I have the XP system setup now, but I haven't chosen between the Win 7 or Win 8.1 because I can't justify spending the money on an experimental basis. Is there some compelling reason that I should choose the Win 8.1 over the Win 7? I was told that the Win 7 would give me more compatibility if I should decide to move my aps from the desktop to the laptop, as well as an easier learning curve for he OS itself. Is that true of Win 8.1 also? And I am afraid none of the configurations for me will be including the touch screen, can't justify the expense.

Thanks
    You will get more compatibility with Windows 7 than with Windows 8. And you will have more compatibility with Windows 8 than with Windows 8.1.

I would say that Windows 8.1 is more "experimental" than Windows 8. But you will be experimenting a bit if you go to Windows 8.

The only reason I can see that you wouldn't want to go with Windows 7 is that Microsoft will stop supporting it sooner than they will Windows 8.

Windows 7 is rock solid; everyone seems to agree with that.

I went from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and I found that Windows 8 seemed to be a bit faster than Windows 7. I then moved to Windows 8.1, and things didn't feel quite as stable and fast as they did with Window 8. When things really slowed down, I moved back to Windows 8, and so far, everything is good. In all honesty, I can't say for sure if the improvement is because Windows 8 is better than Windows 8.1, or because I had picked up a problem somewhere which got eliminated by restoring a previous good Windows install.

At my job, everyone uses Windows 7, and I know of no plans to do any mass upgrade to Windows 8. We will probably stay with Windows 7 for a while longer.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-01-27 at 16:56.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

nonobadgirl (2014-01-30)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have a Win XP Pro with all of your favorite programs, aps, photos, music files etc. on my home PC
    --- As you noted, XP isn’t going to be supported pretty soon; the date is Apr 8, 2014
    --- Although you will still be able to use it, it will be an unsupported system without any further security updates
    --- Many Anti virus/malware programs will still offer protection but it will be just a matter of time before their latest versions will still not support XP anymore
    --- I will not want to depend on outdated versions to protect my XP computer
    --- So as time goes on follow up on how to transfer your favorite programs, aps, photos, music files etc to your new computer
    --- But keep in mind the 32-bit vs 64-bit factors so you can make informed decisions

On whether or not you should buy a Windows 7 or a Windows 8.1 laptop consider calling some of the local colleges or computer club to find out if it’s possible for someone to spend about a couple of hours with you in what they look like and how they operate based on your needs.
    --- At the same time ask them about eventually transferring your favorite programs, aps, photos, music files etc to your new computer

On Windows 7, I don’t believe you can buy one brand new anymore. You can buy a Windows 7 build or a refurbished unit. I just baought 2 Windows 7 laptops – both refurbished; a desktop for $244.00 & a laptop for $100.00 and both of them run excellently

BTW It’s a good thing that you mention Windows 8.1. If you like Windows 8, purchase 8.1 so you don’t have to go & install yourself. Although it’s free from what I understand sometimes applications, programs that are not natively included in your system can be affected by being disabled or even uninstalled
    --- Even though I don’t have a Windows 8.1 computer yet, I’ve been able to help my friends learn how to use them according to my approach: for what there needs are

Once you decide what you like better, feel free to ask for more recommendations; again based on your needs

If you don’t have any luck getting someone to help you on evaluating Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1 let us know
    --- There are tutorials for each one of those OS’s that you can benefit from but I suspect it’s better for you to have a hands-on experience and then access the tutorial for the OS you select so you’ll always have a fall back program

I want to let you know also that some of my best friends are on dialysis treatment so I know what you mean when you are wondering about boredom. May I add another consideration on buying a laptop. Try to buy a laptop that’s as light as possible to carry around. Take care

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

nonobadgirl (2014-01-30)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HP is still selling new Windows 7 http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...%2B7%26%40Sort .TieredPricing%3D0&PageSize=15&SortingAttribute=Ti eredPricing-ascthere was an article on it in the past 2 weeks. .
    Joe

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-01-28),nonobadgirl (2014-01-30)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    You will get more compatibility with Windows 7 than with Windows 8. And you will have more compatibility with Windows 8 than with Windows 8.1.

I would say that Windows 8.1 is more "experimental" than Windows 8. But you will be experimenting a bit if you go to Windows 8.

The only reason I can see that you wouldn't want to go with Windows 7 is that Microsoft will stop supporting it sooner than they will Windows 8.

Windows 7 is rock solid; everyone seems to agree with that.
    Thank you, exactly the info I was asking about, and very helpful to me personally. The stability factor was an issue for me, certainly, and as long as Microsoft supports Windows 7 for at least 2 more years, that will be long enough for me put more thought into the problem of the computer. Thank you sincerely for your time and suggestions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    You have a Win XP Pro with all of your favorite programs, aps, photos, music files etc. on my home PC
    --- As you noted, XP isnít going to be supported pretty soon; the date is Apr 8, 2014
    --- Although you will still be able to use it, it will be an unsupported system without any further security updates
    --- Many Anti virus/malware programs will still offer protection but it will be just a matter of time before their latest versions will still not support XP anymore
    --- I will not want to depend on outdated versions to protect my XP computer
    --- So as time goes on follow up on how to transfer your favorite programs, aps, photos, music files etc to your new computer
    --- But keep in mind the 32-bit vs 64-bit factors so you can make informed decisions

On whether or not you should buy a Windows 7 or a Windows 8.1 laptop consider calling some of the local colleges or computer club to find out if itís possible for someone to spend about a couple of hours with you in what they look like and how they operate based on your needs.
    --- At the same time ask them about eventually transferring your favorite programs, aps, photos, music files etc to your new computer

On Windows 7, I donít believe you can buy one brand new anymore. You can buy a Windows 7 build or a refurbished unit. I just baought 2 Windows 7 laptops Ė both refurbished; a desktop for $244.00 & a laptop for $100.00 and both of them run excellently

BTW Itís a good thing that you mention Windows 8.1. If you like Windows 8, purchase 8.1 so you donít have to go & install yourself. Although itís free from what I understand sometimes applications, programs that are not natively included in your system can be affected by being disabled or even uninstalled
    --- Even though I donít have a Windows 8.1 computer yet, Iíve been able to help my friends learn how to use them according to my approach: for what there needs are

Once you decide what you like better, feel free to ask for more recommendations; again based on your needs

If you donít have any luck getting someone to help you on evaluating Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1 let us know
    --- There are tutorials for each one of those OSís that you can benefit from but I suspect itís better for you to have a hands-on experience and then access the tutorial for the OS you select so youíll always have a fall back program

I want to let you know also that some of my best friends are on dialysis treatment so I know what you mean when you are wondering about boredom. May I add another consideration on buying a laptop. Try to buy a laptop thatís as light as possible to carry around. Take care
    Thank you for the helpful information, especially the suggestions about contacting the computer department at the local college or a local computer club. I live in a super, super small town (population 211) but there is a University less than 35 miles from me, so today I will be calling them to see about an hour or two of "hands on" time in their computer lab.

Everyone here has been so helpful and the advice is invaluable to me. I think I trust this forum more than I do a faceless computer lab at the University because I've been lurking here forever getting answers to my computer problems from the forums.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    HP is still selling new Windows 7 http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...%2B7%26%40Sort .TieredPricing%3D0&PageSize=15&SortingAttribute=Ti eredPricing-ascthere was an article on it in the past 2 weeks. .
    Joe
    Thank you for the link. By the time I got there, all that they had were desktop systems, but I do appreciate the time it took for you to find them and post them here for me. I did find that I can purchase a new laptop from Alienware with Windows 7 installed, directly from Alienware. I don't know how long they'll be available but they are today :)

Thanks
    Microcenter has 13 laptops with Windows 7 installed.
    http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...a-Micro-Center

Jerry

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

nonobadgirl (2014-02-16)

Thanks
    Another thing to consider is walmart.com -- they sell tons of refurbished computers at a better price than other companies. I'm sure you can find something that is almost new and really good with Windows 7 installed. They will ship it free to your local Wal Mart; and best of all, Wal Mart is very good at taking stuff back if it is defective.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

nonobadgirl (2014-02-16)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 lifecycle
    End of mainstraem support Jan 13, 2015
    End of extended support Jan 14, 2020
    So that's 6 years of Windows 7 counting this year

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

nonobadgirl (2014-02-16)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Windows 7 lifecycle
    End of mainstraem support Jan 13, 2015
    End of extended support Jan 14, 2020
    So that's 6 years of Windows 7 counting this year
    I suspect Windows 7 might get pushed out farther since business was slow to switch from XP. The local hospitals just finished the switch to Windows 7 last year. I don't believe there will be much interest in Window 8 and starting over again any time soon.
    Joe

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

nonobadgirl (2014-02-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    By 2020, who knows what the current version of Windows will be or what it will look like? If Windows 9 is released April 2015 as current rumors have it then by 2020 it could be Windows 9 update 5 or Windows 11 or Windows 12. The point being that Microsoft is going to continue Windows development. Microsoft knows very well the pace at which many businesses upgrade.

Right now, if a 32-bit or 64-bit program runs on Windows 7 it very likely it will run on Windows 8 or 8.1. Who knows by 2020 we may see the phasing out of 32-bit in full force.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I posted Windows 7 lifecycle I should have mentioned it was because nonno mentioned 2 years for Windows 7 in post 7
    --- Nonno please note you really will get 5 years

Joe, I think you are right; it's just a matter of time before we see the phasing out of 32-bit

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

nonobadgirl (2014-02-16)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast