Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

System File Checker

I found that Windows Media Player would no longer start so I tried running sfc /scannow, in the hope that the system file checker would resolve the problem. However I was told that Windows Resource Protection could not start the service.

How do I solve this?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try manually starting the Windows Module Installer by going Start - type services.msc then press Enter.

Scroll down to Windows Module.... and it should be set to Manual with a blue Start link in the top left pane.

Click on Start then retry the sfc /scannow command.

Sometimes an AV program can interfere, so try booting up into Safe Mode with Command Prompt to try the command if it still fails in normal mode.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo15, I now find that whatever service I click on there is no start link in the top left pane. (Windows Modules Installer was shown as started). However, sfc /scannow works now . Running it made no difference to the Windows Media Player problem however.

Please advise further.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If a service is already started then the links will be to Stop the service and to Restart the service - are they present ?

Depending upon your answer to that, then reinstalling WMP may resolve http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...s-media-player

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Having suggested using that link to reinstall WMP in another thread, I've since found there isn't the provision to download it.

If there isn't anything relating to it in Event Viewer, then going to Programs & Features/Turn Windows features on or off and expanding Media Features to uncheck the box for WMP - OK - then re-checking the box may reinstate it to a working condition.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, thanks but your last suggestion didn't work.

Do you, or does anyone, have any other ideas?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Roy, I've just responded in your other thread and while this one was because of a problem with sfc, it still related to your problem with WMP and it's best to just open one thread for the same problem.