Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Hi perrysooz,

Great to hear you’ve managed to solve the problem but best read this to make sure is doesn't happen again.

By coincidence, I had a Compaq Vista laptop in the shop this week with exactly the same problem of the Recovery Partition going into the red.

I did almost what I suggested you try but with the variation that I backed up the Recovery Partition for safety sake and then deleted the contents of the original Partition completely (yes, we did have the 3 DVDs). This worked fine but when checking it again a couple of days later, guess what? It had started to fill up again, with 5 GB of HP diagnostic tools! It looks to me that, out of nowhere, HP support has started to churn out some tool updates for Vista and missed the point that they will overload the size of the Recovery Partition. I’m not surprised - little good appears to come out of HP support these days.

To prevent this problem coming back to your system again my advice is to go into Control Panel > Programs and Features, and remove the HP updater program completely – it’s no use to man or beast now anyway and that will kill the little varmint off.

As general maintenance, I’d also download these two tools (from some cleaver Brit programmers) to keep your system running cleanly:
    CCleaner, which is very safe and only does good (but don’t use the registry cleaner section as such things are always the work of the devil!)
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_cc...b2739d320e3c8/

Defraggler, also very safe and the best defragmenter I’ve used:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_de...a72861466ab7f/

Cheers, Chris
    Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall, UK, for the last 14 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components!
    Until Windows 8, I thought we were still moving forwards!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Cooper For This Useful Post:

perrysooz (2014-02-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Chris. Will follow your advice to the T (that's american meaning that I will follow everything that you said). You've been a big help and I do appreciate it. Ccleaner will be my next project. This is fun to me. Thanks again and take care.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=arowland;9388

"Oh and PaulT probably found out his little gem (which was new to me too) by reading forums [/QUOTE

I have known about diskmgmt.msc on and off over several years and only found it each time through the forums. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in magazines, ever. There may be several other useful snipets like diskmgt but we wouldn't know about them unless mentioned here. If there are, could some kind soul write them up in the forum?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I use lots of those "shortcuts" because I can never remember where to find them in Control Panel etc. The easiest way to find them is to search the Windows directory for *.msc or *.cpl. You'll find a lot of Control Panel applets - and you can't break anything by running them, only by changing stuff in them.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, for that information, I guess that part of the problem is that being a brit I forgot that disc is spelt disk in the States

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob100 View Post
    Thanks, for that information, I guess that part of the problem is that being a brit I forgot that disc is spelt disk in the States
    CDs and DVDs are frequently marked as disc in the USA as are the front of the drives that uses them. Other types of storage are known as disk.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-06-14 at 10:15.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have known about diskmgmt.msc on and off over several years and only found it each time through the forums. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in magazines, ever. There may be several other useful snipets like diskmgt but we wouldn't know about them unless mentioned here.
    I usually just right-click Computer, My Computer, This PC [depending on the version of Windows] and choose Manage, gives much more than Disk Management. One can find Device Manager in the Control Panel in Win7 and Win8, can't recall on WinVista as I don't have one running just now. Device Manager should list Disk Drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, I'm learning a lot

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12