Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Views of TeamViewer?

In the past many here have recommended Teamviewer for remote access; personally I've been happily using Logmein (free).
    But Logmein is changing to subscription mode, so it's time to look at Teamviewer.

The beauty of Logmein was that the client PC didn't need to have anything installed - it connected via a web browser.
    Provided that Logmein was installed on the host PC.

The Teamviewer notes don't make clear if this is possible. In fact they seem to have changed the concept of 'client'
    too be what in IT we would normally call the host. Their 'client' seems to be the PC you want to connect to (ie a client of yours in a business sense).

I'm going on an overseas holiday soon, and would like to access my PC from remote (hotel) locations.
    Can't install software on those! Logmein handled this situation well, since one only needed a browser to connect to a host.
    Can Teamviewer operate in this way?
    I suppose I can take my laptop with me, but would rather not (just more junk to carry around!).

Or is there another (free) solution which would not require client software to be installed?

Thanks for any help with this.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    TeamViewer has an executable that does not require installation. It also has Android, iOS and Windows Phone versions, which means you can use it from a smartphone.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I use Team Viewer and like it...
    Pretty easy to understand also.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.
    Can anybody give me the name of the non-install exe that I should use please?
    I guess I could run it from a USB stick or an SD card. Is there a URL I could get it from?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For mobile use: TeamViewer Portable
    TeamViewer Portable can be run directly from a USB stick or a CD - the perfect solution if you are on the road.

http://download.teamviewer.com/downl...erPortable.zip

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    I usually go with the Quick Support version, that you can find here: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows.aspx
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    That's assuming that you will have access to a USB port and running software from it is allowed, there's also the potential threat of your data being intercepted/logged on the host computer; perhaps a portable browser on the USB/SD card to use it with?

I think the smartphone option would be safer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I usually go with the Quick Support version, that you can find here: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows.aspx
    That can't be used for unattended access, which is what this thread is about.

Bruce

Thanks
    The one feature that Logmein had that is missing in Teamviewer is the ability to wake up a target computer that is in sleep mode. Used it a lot on my laptop when I wanted to log into my sleeping desktop. With Teamviewer, I have to keep the desktop alive.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballpoint View Post
    I'm going on an overseas holiday soon, and would like to access my PC from remote (hotel) locations.
    Can't install software on those! Logmein handled this situation well, since one only needed a browser to connect to a host.
    Can Teamviewer operate in this way?
    I suppose I can take my laptop with me, but would rather not (just more junk to carry around!).
    I would strongly advise against remotely accessing your PC from a hotel PC. I have used some hotel PCs, and all of them have been chock full of adware.

If you access your PC from one such PC, your PC will become infected and compromised.

Bring your own laptop with you, and use it to access your home/office computer.

Thanks
    I would strongly advise against remotely accessing your PC from a hotel PC. I have used some hotel PCs, and all of them have been chock full of adware.

If you access your PC from one such PC, your PC will become infected and compromised
    How in the world could a PC being controlled by a Remote Control desktop become infected with adware installed on the Hotel PC??? You should only be able to pick it up if you browse or install something using the Remote PC itself.

I haven't noticed any adware on the hotel PCs I've used although I usually bring my own laptop or tablet. Some hotels don't supply wireless (or wired) access so you have to use their PC. One hotel I was at in Venice Italy only had Web TV. Ghastly experience but I needed to check my flight status.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    How in the world could a PC being controlled by a Remote Control desktop become infected with adware installed on the Hotel PC??? You should only be able to pick it up if you browse or install something using the Remote PC itself.

Some hotels don't supply wireless (or wired) access so you have to use their PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    ... there's also the potential threat of your data being intercepted/logged on the host computer; ...

I think the smartphone option would be safer.
    Data intercept/logging = potential illicit access to the remote PC, Jerry.

Thanks
    Highly unlikely since Teamviewer data is encrypted. I can understand this happening with a laptop using hotel wireless with going through VPN and having passwords stolen, not the hotel PC. Anyway, he was talking about adware infections which wouldn't occur this way.

Jerry

Thanks
    If you are using PC A to remotely access PC B, and PC A is infected, it is very possible that the infection could get onto PC B via the remote connection.

What makes you think it wouldn't? VPN and encryption keep outside devices from intercepting the connection; they don't prevent the computer you are using from sending an infection.

Thanks
    What makes you think it would? Infections (not adware) can be passed via networked PCs but not via a remote control connection. I've never heard of it happening. Can you cite a single instance of this occurring? The main issue with using computers in a public environment is user id/password stealing via data/intercept that Satrow mentioned, not malware infections. VPN and encryption minimize this possibility.

Jerry

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast