Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    I know enough about IT issues to know that it would be a big risk. Especially with the public PCs I have seen at hotels -- chock full of adware. The adware was all I knew about; who knows what else was on the PC?

However, if you want to do it, go for it.

Thanks
    I think I know enough about IT issues as well. Adware doesn't spread from PC to PC. Viruses, yes, adware no. You pick it up via program installs. I don't know which hotels you stay at but the hotel PCs Ive accessed didn't have adware. They typically don't allow program installs. As I stated earlier, the biggest danger in using public PCs is Password stealing, not adware. You are in more danger of that happening using your own laptop without going through a VPN than using a hotel PC.

We should probably just agree to disagree and drop this whole discussion.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I think I know enough about IT issues as well. Adware doesn't spread from PC to PC. Viruses, yes, adware no. You pick it up via program installs. I don't know which hotels you stay at but the hotel PCs Ive accessed didn't have adware. They typically don't allow program installs. As I stated earlier, the biggest danger in using public PCs is Password stealing, not adware. You are in more danger of that happening using your own laptop without going through a VPN than using a hotel PC.
    Holiday Inn, Marriot.

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    We should probably just agree to disagree and drop this whole discussion.

Works for me.

Thanks
    Marriot?

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/01/h...igates-breach/

Still unsure that contributors here have actually considered data input interception (think keyloggers, etc.) on the local PC.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for everyone's input on this, including the security considerations.
    I'll try out Teamviewer in the next few days and see whether it meets my needs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've now given Teamviewer a trial, and here's how it went:
    Downloaded Teamviewer (for personal use) and installed it on the intended host PC (Win 8.1). It gave me an ID no. for the PC.
    Downloaded Teamviewer Portable into the laptop (Win XP SP3) and unzipped it into its own directory (no 'install' required).
    Executed TV portable on the laptop and requested connection to the ID of the host. It asked for a password that the host displayed.
    It's a different password each time, so that wouldn't work for me; I need unattended connection.
    The solution: you can set a 'Personal password' on the host which is then permanent. This can be set in Extras - Options - Security on the host.
    Once that was done, I could connect using the same password each time.
    I also unzipped TV portable to a usb stick and and SD card. It worked fine from them both.
    Must say that the performance is very snappy!
    Thanks again for everyone's contribution to this topic.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Download and install TeamViewer Host on the intended host device (where it runs as a service with a user-selected static password) and use TeamViewer Portable from a USB stick.

Teamviewer Host keeps a connection to Teamviewer's server(s) until a connection is made from Teamviewer Portable. Once handshaking and authentication is completed the connection to Teamviewer's server(s) is terminated and the remaining (encrypted) connection is solely between host and client.

Given that the connection is passing just screen updates, keyboard input and mouse movements, it's difficult to see how malware could be passed from client to host (although Satrow's concerns are potentially valid, albeit limited... we're not talking credit card or banking info here).

I've been using Teamviewer for years as an individual (since v4... it's now v9) and for 3 years in a corporate (local government) environment after suggesting my employer purchase it in preference to LogMeIn after comprehensive comparison and testing of each product's strengths and weaknesses.

In my experience the PC versions of Teamviewer are better than any other remote control solution currently available. (Still a way to go with their Android and iOS clients but that's only my opinion.)

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-02-05 at 22:45.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    ... (although Satrow's concerns are potentially valid, albeit limited... we're not talking credit card or banking info here).
    No, only potential ownership of the home PC and whatever it might contain.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    No, only potential ownership of the home PC and whatever it might contain.
    Have to agree with satrow, here. You enter one password in an unsafe pc and you are exposing yourself to big, big problems. I would never do that, tbh.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you can get your network card to respond to a 'wake on lan' command then you would have FULL control from anywhere. You would need the full install program installed on your home computer.
    I was on a trip for 3 months and had access anytime I had an internet connection.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried teamview recently. Every time I accessed the host the desktop background and resolution would change. Anyone else have the problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim

I use Teamviewer extensively to remotely support over 80 computers

Teamviewer effectively runs the software contained on the remote computer i.e. you see the remote desktop on the computer you are using - the only way to transfer a file from your hotel computer is to use the specific file transfer facility.

I am unable to understand how you could conceive of any malware program transferring from the (hotel?) computer to the remote computer without you physically opting to transfer it.

You can visualize Teamviewer as if you were standing in the front yard of a house watching TV through the window and sending requests to the person in the room to change the channel by sending him a text!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Teamviewer to assist a friend with his computer problems. When I connect and have a visual of his desktop on my desktop, his background changes as a sign to him that I can now see his screen and , if he so allows, I can can control his PC from mine.

Thanks
    i liked teamviewer very much when testing alternate to logmein free, but it proves incompatible w/ a reservation software (ros2006) running on the network i need to use it on.
    can't use tightvnc from it's IP addressing dependance...
    looked at chrome remote desktop too, find it kind of clumsy for lack of better explanation.
    any other remote access FREE software anyone can recommend out there plz?
    i don't see any in this thread, thanks~
    Last edited by jefryclair; 2014-02-06 at 12:57. Reason: needed to specify 'free'

New Lounger
    Thanks

Using TeamViewer.

I use TeamViewer and like it quite a bit. If you are willing to leave your Host computer on all the time while you are away, the password for access will not change. If your Host computer experiences a blip / cause for a reboot, it necessitate a new password.

The problem I have with TeamViewer is their pricing structure. You get approximately 75 free uses and then the connect time is reduced to 5 minutes, Fair enough. HOWEVER, their "fee for life" is $ 750.00 and that is pretty steep. I have been in contact with them and suggested an annual fee of, say, $ 75.00. Their firm counter offer was $ 48.00 PER MONTH. Still a no go for me. They are not willing to budge.

For those concerned about the desktop background being changed while using TeamViewer, it reverts back to original after you discconnect / exit TeamViewer.

The free version requires no registration nor login information, unlike LogMeIn. It does not get any simpler to use. It is EASY to explain to someone to download {no installation routine here for the free version} and run it. Five or six mouse clicks and they are done. The free version is a self-contained executable and leaves no trace on your computer after exiting it.

Upon exit of TeamViewer, good firewalls will detect an effort to "phone home".

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast