Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The one feature that Logmein had that is missing in Teamviewer is the ability to wake up a target computer that is in sleep mode. Used it a lot on my laptop when I wanted to log into my sleeping desktop. With Teamviewer, I have to keep the desktop alive.

Jerry
    Teamviewer 9 includes Wake on LAN

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree that Teamviewer pricing is too high for non-enterprise users - it is - as I recall - somewhat less than it had been a few years ago, what ever comfort that is. They should capitalize on LogMeIn's "new" pricing structure with a more reasonable fee. For instance you can buy LMI Central for $299/year and still have LMI "Free" installed on dozens of computers - up to 100 I think.

But where do you find that after "approximately 75 free uses and then the connect time is reduced to 5 minutes"? I don't see that in their FAQs or elsewhere, and have not experienced it, then again I haven't counted my sessions (fewer than 75 for sure).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Getting back to the original discussion, one thing Teamviewer has that wasn't on Logmein Free is file transfers. That was only possible on the paid version of LMI

Thanks
    I use the file transfer quite a lot...

Sometimes you can just drag the file over to the remote desktop but sometimes that doesn't work and you have to use the file transfer option...

Also, if you plan to do remote re-boots you have to make sure you have your version of Team Viewer running as a service...Which only means to have Team Viewer start with windows.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The desktop changing to black thing is not meant to be an indication to anyone that the PC is now being controlled remotely, as some here have assumed. Rather it's a performance enhancement issue. Why transfer the desktop background if over a slow connection? If you want to turn the remote desktop's background back on, there is a setting for that.

Someone else has also noted a change in resolution from one session to the next. Apparently, TeamViewer is sensing a marginal connection and throttling back on the resolution in some cases. If you're on a solid, fast connection, simply go into the control menu (the tab thingie that's on the top edge of the screen, and that can be hidden btw) and look for the settings that allow you to "optimize for..." and I believe the options are performance or display, the latter giving you better eye candy.

Remember, beyond "private" use (and I'd love a definition of what they mean by private), say if you use it to help someone and get paid for it, you owe TeamViewer $795USD to license this baby. I know right? $795! Whew - most expensive software EVER. Well maybe not as bad as PhotoShop, but there too, I mean come on! Apparently we're dripping with money? A one-off price of $99 maybe, but I'm sorry, $795 really feels like an absurd money grab to me. For this kind of software, anyway. IMHO.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My 100% free solution: TightVNC tunneled over an SSH connection using Cygwin. Secure, reliable, and completely configurable. Added bonus: remote shell and SFTP access.

Thanks
    Yes DJ, you are right..Turning off the desktop speeds things up...

I think the high price is due that they sell to a lot of corporations where remote computing is essential...And, if you are making money off remote support it doesn't seem like a steep price to pay.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This a response to some earlier comments.

Yes, there are other Remote Access alternatives, some free. But, and I am not being derogatory here, most folks beyond pension age need something real simple. And, to me. it does not get simpler than TeamViewer. Have you ever tried to suggest to a non-technical person the need for yet another login name and password for them to remember? Generally, not going to happen. This is required for LogMeIN and others.

I use TeamViewer A LOT {the free version}. Not for a business, I simply am willing to help a lot of people {I am retired}. I can attest to the approximate 75 free uses as I have been cut off twice {on two different computers via the same ISP}. 75 free uses is not a lot when you consider you may get an unwanted disconnect and/or the remote reboot fails to re-establish the same connection. Some tools for malware removal {Rkill.exe, Combofix.exe} terminate TeamViewer {and, I understand why}.

I wish TeamViewer had a non-corporate pricing structure that was reasonable. Unless I missed it, I have never seen it offered for $ 299.00 {still too much for me}. I understand the lifetime fee. Whose lifetime? What if they go out of business in a year or less? There goes some of the $ 799.99!

Oh well, live, learn and adapt.

Thanks
    Yes, one of the things I liked about TV was it's simplicity.

I only use it on a couple of friends computers to do maintenance and all they do is start team-viewer, email me the password, they go to work and I get to play...

It's a great life..

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation USB on hotel Computer? NEVER!

@Ballpoint:

You can read here what happened to my USB drive when I used it at the fabulous, famed Atlantis Resort in Nassau, Bahamas. Just jump down to the post titled "Internet Access - A Saga".

I hardly trust myself, definitely not any hotel or library computer.

And lastly, what can be so important that you can't take it along on a USB drive?
    Plus, most email providers have web based access to almost any ISP's email.

Travel safely.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cjjsp1lker View Post
    Some tools for malware removal {Rkill.exe, Combofix.exe} terminate TeamViewer {and, I understand why}.

I use ComboFix on friends PC's infected with Malware, I ALWAYS run ComboFix in Safe Mode and when completed I reboot the PC with Remote reboot and click "Wait for Partner" when the friends PC reboots and TeamViewer is started I am reconnected to the PC, you just have to be patient though while the Client PC boots up all the start up programs.

I have never experienced a reconnect problem.

Thanks
    Ballpoint, I know you are looking for a FREE solution, but I think you should take a look at Go To My PC. They have a 30-day free trial and the cost thereafter is only $10/month.

Several years ago, I signed up for a free account and gained access to my Windows desktop using the Safari browser on my daughter's Mac. It worked great. On subsequent trips I activate my account for one month for $10 and deactivate before the automatic renewal.

GoToMyPC performs much like LogMeIn and offers file transfer, selectable background disabling, and other features I've heard mentioned in this thread. I do not know if GTMPC can be configured to wake on Lan access, but I believe it can. You can remotely reboot the host computer (which can be a lifesaver) but that of course means the software must be made to start with Windows.

The host screen can be blanked and/or its keyboard locked from the remote pc. The client uses a browser to establish the connection through GTMPC servers. Once established, the connection becomes a direct VPN encypted connection so long as supported on both host and client. Default is a fixed password, but a system of temporary single-use passwords is an option for even greater security.

I use the remote connection to access my financial software, which in turn accesses my bank. I can access my Bill Pay account to pay bills either directly using the local pc and browser, or I can access Bill Pay as I normally would from my desktop via the remote connection. I leave it to the pundits to decide whether one or the other method is more or less secure.

One more consideration: My Desktop automatically starts (boots) every morning. In the event of a power glitch, most PC's shutdown. Mine will restart the next morning, but others could be dead in the water. You may want to consider, at least while you are abroad, configuring your PC to restart itself. Many BIOSes will have a timer start as mine does, but I believe you can configure Windows machines to restart after a power interruption. I don't remember how to do this, however.

I hope this gives you another option. When LogMeIn was free, I still used GoToMyPC. Ten bucks was just not significant. Bon Voyage! RonR

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Has anyone tried Mikogo? I live in the UK so it might not be available elsewhere due to international restrictions blah blah blah, but it's free, has a file transfer function and I use it to help out my 72 year old dad whenever he has problems on his pc - might be worth looking at?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by autobackup View Post
    Jim

I use Teamviewer extensively to remotely support over 80 computers

Teamviewer effectively runs the software contained on the remote computer i.e. you see the remote desktop on the computer you are using - the only way to transfer a file from your hotel computer is to use the specific file transfer facility.

I am unable to understand how you could conceive of any malware program transferring from the (hotel?) computer to the remote computer without you physically opting to transfer it.

You can visualize Teamviewer as if you were standing in the front yard of a house watching TV through the window and sending requests to the person in the room to change the channel by sending him a text!!
    My concern is that some of the people who write malware are really sharp, and it is possible that some malware on the hotel PC which is very well-written could somehow worm its way into the remote session on the hotel computer.

In the example you gave (sending commands via text to the person in the room), I could imagine that some malware on an infected PC could intercept my text message commands and add information to them, thereby replacing my commands with malware-induced commands. Since both the local Windows session and the remote Teamview session are both riding on top of the Windows kernel of the hotel PC, if the Windows kernel gets compromised, malware could then spread to the remote session.

I'm glad that you have had trouble-free success. I personally wouldn't want to risk it.

Thanks
    My concern is that some of the people who write malware are really sharp, and it is possible that some malware on the hotel PC which is very well-written could somehow worm its way into the remote session on the hotel computer.
    There have been exactly zero cases of this happening. Again, the main risk is keyboard password captures if you don't use a VPN. As long as you use a VPN like hotspot shield, you should be fine.

Jerry

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast