Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Well, the first option seems reasonably safe, the 2nd not so much. More advanced malware will make itself invisible to the OS and your manual check may fail to find anything, even in presence of malware. I definitely wouldn't use the 2nd option.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All these problems and argument because of our litigate-craze society.
    Responsible public persons, like people here, must protect themselves by covering all grounds.
    Everybody tries to talk like a lawyer.
    Common sense be damned.

I am told a ladder has no less than 16 red stickers on it. One of which says, to this effect, "It is harmful to use as a ladder. Using the ladder may cause bodily harm ..." [The statement is VERY VERY true. What is wrong with it?]

All securities are breakable. It is a matter of when.

Commonsense says, none is secure. Common sense also says if it is not that common, it is OK.
    The grey area is: What is 'not that common'?
    Is 1 sigma common, 3 sigma? 6 sigma good enough? [sigma=Standard Deviation]
    I'll let you decide.

Yes, I'll NOT use a hotel PC.
    Though in a bind, I WOULD.
    For that I bring a bootable LinuxCD, a bootable USB Linux, a USB SD card reader and SD cards. One SD is portable VM with full install TeamViewer and remote access. One SD is Portable TeamViewer SD. I also have encrypted files in them (such as passwords in a text file. I am forgetful).

@Rick, as for hard to find USB flash drive with a switch, I have been using this several years:
    a USB SD card reader, with SD card in it, and the SD card switch set to read-only. I only use SD card up to 32G. Some PCs cannot read xSD (64G and up).

Avoiding hardware key logger is a real problem, also video monitoring.
    One solution I use is open my password text file. The passwords in it are embedded in random letters. I'll copy and paste the whole line (or shorter). Use delete/backspace to the proper password. I also bring with me a USB flexible foldable keyboard. This avoids keylogger somewhat (obviously not totally).
    Video monitor is hard to avoid; can only use hand/body covering the monitor.
    As I said, no absolute. But make it less likely.
    For the argumentative, yes, all security is breakable.
    My point is to make it less likely, and harder/less profitable for the hacker.
    Is it 'good enough'? Well, same point here: Is 1 sigma good enough, 3 sigma, 6 sigma?

The MOST important is:
    Is it convenient and not dragging you down from work efficiency?
    My way is one time preparation. Light on travel.
    Surely not for everyone. But this is all this forum is about: share the knowledge and experience.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scaisson View Post
    All these problems and argument because of our litigate-craze society.
    Responsible public persons, like people here, must protect themselves by covering all grounds.
    Everybody tries to talk like a lawyer.
    Common sense be damned.
    Just so you'll know, my concerns have nothing to do with protecting myself from potential litigation. In fact, that thought has never, ever entered my mind when I have used a public PC.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a look at this article about 5 virtual keyboards tested against 12 commercial paid keyloggers. I've added the 2 top-performing ones to my utilities USB stick.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456