New Lounger
    Thanks

Low or out of memory

I receive this message when loading some Excel sheets and when making scans in PDF Converter 8.

Memory.jpg

This machine has Win7 64 bit with 8g memory. The memory "meter" shows less than half of the memory used. I ran the Win memory diagnostic and there were no problems.

This is a recent problem. It appeared out of the blue. No changes or additions (software or otherwise) had been made. I have had Firefox/Waterfox memory problems but even a reboot and trying the applications without starting FF/WF doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!!!

Which version of Excel are you using?

Have you tried shutting down Excel and then clearing the Excel Auto recovery folder?

Have you tried emptying your Temp folder?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's more than Excel it's also the scan function in PDF Converter Pro (Adobe substitute). AND it's not all spreadsheets and there's no appreciable difference in size. Makes no sense but somewhere there's a problem. Scanner works fine and spreadsheets open in a Win7 32bit laptop with 4g memory. I'll try the suggestions but it's more than just Excel.

Thanks
    How much free disk space do you have?

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    500g, 1/2TB. Plenty of disk space. But the "memory meter" says that only half of the 8g of installed memory is in use.

Jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    64-bit Windows will make use of all the RAM but unless you are running the 32-bit version of Excel will only use about 2 GB RAM. One of the problems in running 64-bit Office is that many (if not most) Office add-ins still are 32-bit. For more information see 64-bit editions of Office 2013. Most of the same information applies to Office 2010.

Joe

Thanks
    From: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...3-96d3aa939000

The solution is easy - it's just a stupid error message that has nothing to do with the actual problem, and the problem is actually a microsoft feature, as often is:
    - Office now has some kind of "protected-mode" feature, which prevents office apps from doing certain things under certain conditions.
    - One of them is to stop excel from opening attachments coming from outlook :-(

Just go in Excel options, trust center, settings, and untick all the options about "protected view".

Save and voila, suddenly excel can open all your files and has absolutely no problems with your gigs of free memory.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, I'll try it. BUT the real problem is the same message when I try to scan from Nuance PDF Converter and Paper Port. Get the same message. The other problem is this is a recent happening ever though I've been running the applications for several years on this machine. One day the problem appeared. Actually Excel is the last of my problems here. the Nuance products are much more important.

Jim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry. It worked for Excel. Now for the scanner. This is the message I get from Paper Port after the scan completes.

memory2.jpg

A little different, but not much. Should have uploaded this at the start.

Jim

Thanks
    Glad to hear Excel is working again.
    As for the Paper Port error:
    From: http://www.justanswer.com/printers/6...gh-memory.html

I was able to self resolve by installing version 16 paperport pro for the end users.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using PP 14 which is the most recent version. I've attempted a couple of reinstalls with no good results but will try again. The strange thing is that everything worked well, I one time had version 12 on this machine and it worked well. Only in the past month has the error appeared. And nothing about the machine or its software has changed except Windows updates.
    Thanks for the link. Seems the "expert" was a bit perplexed too.

I guess the old strategy of reinstalling everything every two years or so is the only way to avoid these conundrums.

Give reinstall a try again.

Thanks,
    Jim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbenson View Post
    ... nothing about the machine or its software has changed except Windows updates.
    Hi, Jim.

What updates were they, there may just be a link between the current issue and one of them?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That could be but I really don't know exactly when this would have happened and there were at least 3 in the time frame in question. My bigger suspicion is with Nuance. Paper Port in particular has always had various "issues". A water mark that just popped up out of the blue for one thing. Annoying but it is the best affordable document manager I know of.

Thanks
    You could also try contacting Paper Port support here:
    http://www.nuance.com/support/paperport/index.htm

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Jerry. I've contacted them in the past without much luck. But that was the next step ... again .. if the reinstall doesn't work. Thanks so much for your help. Really appreciate it.

Jim