Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macrium issue

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium issue

Hi,

Had an error in Macrium Backup as seen in attached image. Have run Macrium many times successfully. Only differences are a new update to Macrium and using a Seagate SSHD (hybrid drive).

I did a defrag and re-ran Macrium with no success. Macrium forums are no help. There was a post with same symptoms but the reply indicated the tech. had replied with an emailed solution. Here is a link to that post.

http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6189

I have run a Windows backup successfully on the same partition.

Any ideas?

macriumerror.JPG
    George

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried a clean boot and then de-frag?

Have you tried a third party defrag tool?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

Not exactly sure what you mean by 'clean boot'.

I used Windows defrag and JKDefrag. It was an old version. There is a new version I think I'll try that and then try Macrium again.

Funny that Windows backup worked.

OK. I downloaded latest version of JKDefrag now called Mydefrag. Did a boot and tried Macrium. Same error.
    Last edited by High Sierra; 2014-01-28 at 14:02. Reason: added last line. corrected some typos
    George

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    George:
    if you are using the paid version of Macrium, fill out a support request. I have done that a couple of times and always find their support people extremely helpful.
    Best,
    Dick

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    George:
    if you are using the paid version of Macrium, fill out a support request. I have done that a couple of times and always find their support people extremely helpful.
    Best,
    Dick
    That's the problem Dick. I'm using the free version. No support.

What's really weird about this is the recommendation to run windows defrag, which doesn't defrag the bitmap.

I even tried the sysinternals contig program but it gave an access error, like I wasn't allowed. Was running as the real Administrator acct.
    George

Administrator
    Thanks
    See How to perform a clean boot in Windows for details on performing a clean boot. That just means you'll load as little as possible at boot time.

When I try Contig just to analyze the MFT I get access denied when I use $Bitmap but when I just specify $MFT Contig analyzes both $MFT & $MFT:$Bitmap successfully. Which did you try?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    See How to perform a clean boot in Windows for details on performing a clean boot. That just means you'll load as little as possible at boot time.

When I try Contig just to analyze the MFT I get access denied when I use $Bitmap but when I just specify $MFT Contig analyzes both $MFT & $MFT:$Bitmap successfully. Which did you try?

Joe
    I tried $bitmap. Will go try $MFT.

Just tried contig -v -s $mft here is the result.

contig.JPG

Macrium still wont work. contig says bitmap not fragmented.

BTW thanks for the link on Clean Boot.
    Last edited by High Sierra; 2014-01-28 at 19:39.
    George

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a wild shot - but how much space is available on the drive you are putting the image on? (I'm also assuming that K: is a separate HD.) A system error code of 8 is not enough memory. So, it could be that you don't have enough space on the destination drive or that the fragmented system bitmap is not on C: but is on K:.

John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedyMan View Post
    Just a wild shot - but how much space is available on the drive you are putting the image on? (I'm also assuming that K: is a separate HD.) A system error code of 8 is not enough memory. So, it could be that you don't have enough space on the destination drive or that the fragmented system bitmap is not on C: but is on K:.

John
    There was lots of space on the drive when I first tried this. I even defragged the drive and tried again. No luck. Based on when the error occurs I'm fairly certain that it's referring to the source because of the part of the process at which it fails. And Windows image had no issues.
    George

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Downloaded Perfect Disk Trial. Ran defrag and boot defrag.

Macrium still gives the same error.
    George

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    George:
    I had a different kind of problem recently with my W7 SP1 Home Premium system. After trying different helpful suggestions, and things I came up with myself . . . I still had the problem, and I had invested days in trying to fix the problem.

I finally "bit the bullet" and did a clean re-install. No more problem.

I also benefited in doing this by creating a "gold standard" image of my clean system, with my programs installed, and my tweaks applied. I have saved this image on my hard-drive that I use for imaging; and created that same 'gold standard" image on an external drive that I also use for imaging.

With that saved "gold standard" image I should never have to do a clean reinstall again (knock wood).

Maybe you should think of doing the same clean reinstall . . .

Best,
    Dick

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick-Y For This Useful Post:

High Sierra (2014-02-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    see next post. Sorry about double post.
    Last edited by High Sierra; 2014-02-03 at 13:43. Reason: removed post and added apology
    George

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry Dick but that ain't gonna happen.

I'm old school. I like to know what caused the problem. Need to know the root cause.

I've uninstalled Macrium 5.2.6465 and installed 5.2.6437. Still get same error.
    Also can image other drives with all versions.

Looks like some issue with the Hybrid drive. It's the only thing I can think of that has changed. I only wish I could be certain that the bitmap isn't actually fragmented.

Another possibility may be the method used to move my system from my 1 TB WD Black to the 2 TB Seagate SSHD. I use BING as a Boot and Partition manager. I used their Copywipe program to copy from the 1 TB drive to the 2 TB drive. I kept the same partition sizes and later expanded the partition using BING.
    Last edited by High Sierra; 2014-02-03 at 13:24. Reason: added last paragraph.
    George

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW I did a clean boot and tried. Same result.
    George

Thanks
    Restore a previous image that does not include the "new update".
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

High Sierra (2014-02-04)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast