Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Looking for a simple backup program

I am looking for a simple backup program. All I want to be able to do is specify the folders or files and the source and backup drives and let it run. I don't want one that has a lot of "housekeeping" necessary on my part. I also want it to be able to pause/stop in the middle and then pickup from where it left off. Also, if it happens to encounter any problems along the way, I also want it to be able to start again where it left off. It would be nice if it was free, but it doesn't have to be free, but then I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it either. Maybe if it had a trial period, then that would also be a bonus. Any insight or suggestions that anyone would care to make will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Thanks
    I recommend Memeo. You specify which folders you want backed up; it does an initial backup; it then monitors the contents of the folders, backing up anything which changes. Best of all, the archive is in standard Windows file format, which means that if you have to recover a file, you simply copy it from the archive.

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I recommend Memeo. You specify which folders you want backed up; it does an initial backup; it then monitors the contents of the folders, backing up anything which changes. Best of all, the archive is in standard Windows file format, which means that if you have to recover a file, you simply copy it from the archive.
    This is an interesting package. How much overhead does the "monitoring" take? Can you set the "monitoring function" so that it only checks once or twice a day, or when the machine is idle. Can this "monitoring" process be initiated manually. I am thinking that maybe the last thing I want is a background program competing with a foreground program like MS Office, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, etc., as these programs can be memory intensive. Thanks.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    Thanks for the reference. I will have a look at these, however, they do look like they may have more bells and whistles than I need or want, but maybe there is a "simple backup" path through their process.

Ron M

Thanks
    If you're on Win8 then File history is good. I can confirm Memeo should serve as well (comes free with Seagate external drives). Neither have much overhead as they cache files when they're changed until they can write them to the backup disk. I also use Macrium Reflect free and can recommend it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a good selection and some advice.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...backup-program

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    This is an interesting package. How much overhead does the "monitoring" take? Can you set the "monitoring function" so that it only checks once or twice a day, or when the machine is idle. Can this "monitoring" process be initiated manually. I am thinking that maybe the last thing I want is a background program competing with a foreground program like MS Office, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, etc., as these programs can be memory intensive. Thanks.

Ron M
    The purpose of a program like Memeo is to guarantee that if you delete or overwrite something, you will always be able to recover (as long as the disk where the Memeo archive is located doesn't crash). Therefore, it needs to continually run.

There is no noticeable overhead, as I recall. (I haven't used it in about a year.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    The purpose of a program like Memeo is to guarantee that if you delete or overwrite something, you will always be able to recover (as long as the disk where the Memeo archive is located doesn't crash). Therefore, it needs to continually run.

There is no noticeable overhead, as I recall. (I haven't used it in about a year.)
    Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    If you're on Win8 then File history is good. I can confirm Memeo should serve as well (comes free with Seagate external drives). Neither have much overhead as they cache files when they're changed until they can write them to the backup disk. I also use Macrium Reflect free and can recommend it.
    Interesting as I have two Seagate Expansion drives that I bought in the past year and I cannot find Memeo on either of them. Is this something I get when I register the drives with Seagate?

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Here is a good selection and some advice.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...backup-program

cheers, Paul
    Paul, thanks for the reference. It looks like there is some good stuff there.

Ron M

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cobian Backup. Can backup across a network, and uses the .ZIP format, so you don't need the programme installed to restore your stuff.

No Windows 8 version though, as far as I can see.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    Interesting as I have two Seagate Expansion drives that I bought in the past year and I cannot find Memeo on either of them. Is this something I get when I register the drives with Seagate?

Ron M
    Perhaps they've withdrawn the software - my disks are over two years old...
    But the Memeo website still shows Seagate as a user. And the Seagate website refers to Seagate backup (which may be Memeo under a different name). What backup software was on your disk?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Perhaps they've withdrawn the software - my disks are over two years old...
    But the Memeo website still shows Seagate as a user. And the Seagate website refers to Seagate backup (which may be Memeo under a different name). What backup software was on your disk?
    I did not find any obvious backup software on either of the disks that I bought.

Ron M

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you looked at Genius Timeline Free? It looks exactly what you're looking for. I've tried Memeo but it's a real pain, asking me to upgrade the software (aka buy a Pro version) all the time. It's so annoying I've removed it and started looking around for something else. I've tried Windows 8 File History but it can't cope with lots of nested folders if, as a result, the filepath goes over 255 characters (it would be fair to say that Memeo seemed to cope).

My copy of Memeo came free with a Seagate GoFlex Home. The software was on the disk, but it was called Seagate backup by Memeo.

Comodo backup seems to have got good reviews but it might be a bit too much for your needs. http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...backup-program

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast