New Lounger
    Thanks

Need Dual-booted PC (XP/Ubuntu) online only for Ubuntu.

Want to modify dual-booted WinPC desktop (WinXP-sp3/Ubuntu12.04 LTS), part of a (4) PC wired LAN, so that on Apr 8 I can continue to boot the Ubuntu OS and connect it to the internet, but when I choose to boot to XP, cannot connect to the internet. I can achieve that now by merely unplugging the WinXP's ethernet cable to use XP's Office 2003, older Photoshop, Passport 11, etc, offline. This is a long-in-the-tooth desktop only marginally eligible for upgrade to Win7. (Aside, other 3 PCs run Win7-sp1, Win8, Linux Mint.)

Would prefer to keep XP-PC connected to its LAN when OffLine to share files, printer, etc with other LAN-PCs via software disabling its switching to the internet, but subsequently unblocked during Ubuntu's reigning internet needs.

Look forward to your "how to"comments.

Appreciatively,

wenkoe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to leave out a lot of details, but philosophically, here is what I would do.
    1. Configure XP for a static IP address and settings instead of using DHCP.
    2. Step 1 will allow you to configure the TCP/IP default gateway. Set it to 127.0.0.1 to disable routing.
    That may be enough. Connecting to other machinery on the same subnet may not require a gateway.
    3. If you can't connect to others on your subnet, add a static route to it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to riffraff For This Useful Post:

wenkoe (2014-03-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Appreciate your input. It parallels the software route I was contemplating. But, as the saying goes:"the devil is in the details". I'll keep thinking about operating on DHCP and XP's fixed IP address. Meanwhile when push comes to shove, will use the disconnect ethernet cable and use USB file transfers, etc.