New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP major problems

I currently have 2 computers running Win XP.

In 1 case the computer starts and runs perfectly except that the "start" button wont click. I have access to everything except the help and CMD functions.

The other computer is in much worse shape. When it boots up, nothing loads but the background. 9 times out of 10 I can Cntrl Alt Del and get my Task manager and that is the only functionality I have on this computer. Luckily I can do Most things from here.

Would love some suggestions on getting 1 or both of these computers working properly.

Unfortunately both are running XP PRO and I have no disks. When I purchased them, the "dead" 1 had XP Home on a "ghost" drive, and I didn't like it and upgraded to Pro (later finding out that they gave me a bad key), and the other was bought used with No cds. I have attempted to download Windows CDs, but I cant seem to find the correct Version.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No - if it doesn't come up as an option - I am not sure how to "trigger" a safe mode start up.

I have booted from the repair console on the bad 1, and started using the bios boot - prior to this boot up, I didn't have access to the Task Manager.

Thanks
    To get to Safe Mode, turn on the computer, and as soon as the initial splash screen goes off, start tapping the F8 key. You will soon see a menu which will let you select Safe Mode. Or, you can select Safe Mode with Networking, which will give you internet access.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Patti, it appears you're pretty much a beginner or you would have fixed each problem as it arose. Therefore, at a guesstimate you'd have literally dozens, maybe hundreds, of geeky things to learn to get your XP systems working properly. And not long to do it. Microsoft cease support for XP in early April. That means you can't safely access the internet at all after then on XP. So if you fix everything now, you put in maybe 100+ hours work for a few weeks of safe use of XP?

You would be far, far, far better investing your time in getting a working Windows 7 or Windows 8 system up and running (or systems if you still need two computers, but a step at a time hey!).

So download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and run on your computers to see if one or both of them is powerful enough to run Windows 7. If not, you need new computer(s), there is no way around that.

I very strongly suggest you install Windows 7 rather than Windows 8, there are far too many changes in the latter for a beginner to cop them comfortably. But Windows 7 is no longer manufactured. So if you see a new copy, snap it up, even if it costs you, as there'll be thousands of people competing for it very very shortly. Don't buy a used copy, you have no guarantee the license key is legitimate/hasn't been used already. You can upgrade to Windows 8 in a few years to extend the life of whatever computer(s) you install Windows 7 on.

If you can't get Windows 7, you'll have to settle for Windows 8. Buying secondhand computer(s) with Windows 7 installed might be an option.

After you have a Windows 7 system up and running, immediately ask here about how to check it's legitimate. If it isn't, demand a refund, if that isn't forthcoming, tell Microsoft about it.

Yes, an expensive exercise, but unless you want to seriously invite malware infection from April, there's no way around the need-a-new-operating-system-and-maybe-a-new-computer annoyance that recurs every eight years or so.

If you're indeed a beginner, under no circumstances attempt an operating system installation to an existing computer until someone geeky has checked that all your data is backed up to an external device (a partition backup is the only safe one). If you have any geeky friends, it's time to get buttering them right up!

Do not attempt a Windows 7 (or 8) upgrade over your existing, broken XP systems. You need to do a fresh installation, after the full backup (try to get your geek to do it). You'll need one copy of Windows 7 (or 8) for each computer, each copy is only single-license.

Thanks
    I believe that Steve is right in this case. You have a lot of issues to be resolved; and it may be cheaper and easier simply to do a clean install of Windows 7 on each computer, rather than trying to fix what you have.

If you go with Windows 8, you can install one of the add-ins (e.g. Start Is Back) to make it look and feel like Windows 7.

I definitely recommend that you not upgrade to Windows 8.1.

The one thing I would add to what Steve said is that you make sure to install a name-brand anti-virus program. Part of your problem may be related to your having some malware on one or both of your computers.

Thanks
    Boot into safe mode and run chkdsk /r from an Administrators group Command prompt. It may take a while. If that checks OK, then reboot, back into safe mode, and run sfc /scannow from an Administrators group Command prompt. Hopefully, sfc won't ask for an XP CD. If it does, try to find someone from whom you can borrow a disc.

If chkdsk reports that it found errors it couldn't fix, reboot back into safe mode and run chkdsk /r again, and a third time if necessary. Then run sfc /scannow in safe mode from an Administrators group Command prompt.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to open a command window, try Windows+R and type cmd, return.

Also in addition to the stuff above, try running a malware scan, such as Malwarebytes
    http://www.malwarebytes.org

or Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc...e-removal.aspx

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    xp wont stop working

i still have a win98se box in frequent use
    and 3 xp pro boxes that i plan to keep for a long long time

just download every driver you may ever need now
    and do a restore point and a clone of the hd for recovery after you get them running again

============================

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadsteve View Post
    Patti, it appears you're pretty much a beginner or you would have fixed each problem as it arose. Therefore, at a guesstimate you'd have literally dozens, maybe hundreds, of geeky things to learn to get your XP systems working properly. And not long to do it. Microsoft cease support for XP in early April. That means you can't safely access the internet at all after then on XP. So if you fix everything now, you put in maybe 100+ hours work for a few weeks of safe use of XP?

You would be far, far, far better investing your time in getting a working Windows 7 or Windows 8 system up and running (or systems if you still need two computers, but a step at a time hey!).

So download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and run on your computers to see if one or both of them is powerful enough to run Windows 7. If not, you need new computer(s), there is no way around that.

I very strongly suggest you install Windows 7 rather than Windows 8, there are far too many changes in the latter for a beginner to cop them comfortably. But Windows 7 is no longer manufactured. So if you see a new copy, snap it up, even if it costs you, as there'll be thousands of people competing for it very very shortly. Don't buy a used copy, you have no guarantee the license key is legitimate/hasn't been used already. You can upgrade to Windows 8 in a few years to extend the life of whatever computer(s) you install Windows 7 on.

If you can't get Windows 7, you'll have to settle for Windows 8. Buying secondhand computer(s) with Windows 7 installed might be an option.

After you have a Windows 7 system up and running, immediately ask here about how to check it's legitimate. If it isn't, demand a refund, if that isn't forthcoming, tell Microsoft about it.

Yes, an expensive exercise, but unless you want to seriously invite malware infection from April, there's no way around the need-a-new-operating-system-and-maybe-a-new-computer annoyance that recurs every eight years or so.

If you're indeed a beginner, under no circumstances attempt an operating system installation to an existing computer until someone geeky has checked that all your data is backed up to an external device (a partition backup is the only safe one). If you have any geeky friends, it's time to get buttering them right up!

Do not attempt a Windows 7 (or 8) upgrade over your existing, broken XP systems. You need to do a fresh installation, after the full backup (try to get your geek to do it). You'll need one copy of Windows 7 (or 8) for each computer, each copy is only single-license.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    back to the OP

mark this problem solved

took it to MEi to look at
    they got it to boot normally when they tried
    go figure

so asap had them copy the c drive to a brand new 1TB disk to replace the old HD

system working again
    with more empty space then i will ever use

side note
    photoshop stopped working
    it cant handle the bigger HD
    so i point it to an outboard disk that is much smaller
    and PS works again

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    back to the OP

mark this problem solved
    She solved it?