Star Lounger
    Thanks

Partitioning new hard disk with w8.1

Am buying new Sony Vaio laptop running W8.1, with a 1TB hard disk

Question, please: does the operating system have a disk management facility which will allow me to re-partition hard disk, to seperate Programs (C) from Work files (D), given that it will already have a 'hidden' Recovery partition?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hession,

The short answer is YES, it's called Disk Management and can be found in the Control Panel under Computer Management. That said, I would however recommend one of the free third party apps like EaseUS Partition master or Partition Wizard MiniTool. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-01-29)

Thanks
    I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit with a 1TB Drive.

I used the Windows Disk Management to reduce the partition size of the C: drive, reallocate the remaining space into 4 more drives (D, E, F, G). This worked without a hitch.

I also use the EaseUS partition manager. The free version would not run on my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit desktop system in 2011 (this may have changed since).

I had to upgrade to the Professional version for about $25.00 at the time. It worked great and provided better control of the re-partitioning operations through a better user interface. However my License did not allow for multiple computers, so I used Microsoft Disk Management for this laptop instead of buying another copy.
    Last edited by JC Zorkoff; 2014-01-29 at 16:41.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What are the risks, then, with using the W8.1 built in partition software, please? Everyone - here & on the web - seems to be saying ".....er, yes, there is built in partition software, but rather use proprietary stuff". On the one hand, with a new machine which comes with only one huge disk/partition, one doesn't want to b*** it up from the start, but on the other, why should one have to use new software.....I wonder?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hession View Post
    What are the risks, then, with using the W8.1 built in partition software, please? Everyone - here & on the web - seems to be saying ".....er, yes, there is built in partition software, but rather use proprietary stuff".
    (Disclaimer: I haven't fully explored the 8/8.1 version, but the partitioner appears to work essentially the same as the Vista/7 versions. My comments below apply to Vista/7 but I suspect are equally applicable to 8/8.1.)

Microsoft's diskpart (the built-in partition manager) is buggy and crippled, and has been since XP.

For one thing, it's ability to shrink a partition is limited to the location of the furthest "in-use" cluster on the partition. This is best illustrated with an example. Let's say you have a 500GB partition that only contains 30GB of actual data. Over time that 30GB can become fragmented and scattered all over the partition as files are written and rewritten. Let's say it eventually gets spread out over the first 90GB of the partition. It's still only 30GB total, but the furthest in-use cluster is out at the 90th GB on the partition, with lots of free space interspersed. Now if you subsequently try to shrink the partition to, say, 60GB, diskpart can't do it, even though the partition is only 30GB full. It can shrink it to 90, but no smaller. In contrast, most decent third-party partitioners will relocate those furthest clusters out of the way if they have to so they can get down to 60.

Another limitation is diskpart cannot move the beginning of a partition. Say you have a system with a factory partition (say, 15GB for recovery) near the front of the disk followed by the Windows partition. A lot of people like to delete the factory partition and merge its space into the Windows partition. The procedure is not trivial: it involves deleting the 15GB partition, then sliding the entire Windows partition forward 15GB, sector by sector, and finally extending the back end of the relocated partition out 15GB. Diskpart can't do that second step. Most third-party partitioners can.

And for an example of one of its bugs, see my webpage here. This illustrates how the Windows utility completely blows it when confronted with a combination of logical partitions and hidden partitions--a not uncommon scenario on certain multi-boot systems, linux/Windows dual-boots, or hidden factory recovery partitions. (That webpage was of a Vista test, but retests prove the bug has not been fixed in 7 or 8.)

Now, despite all of the above, you're unlikely to run into these problems with a new Win8 system. As initially setup it won't be dual-boot, won't have logical partitions (because it will be using GPT partitions instead), and OEMs aren't hiding their recovery partitions anymore. In addition, if Windows is still fresh it won't have splayed itself all over the partition yet, so chances are good you can shrink its partition down to the size you want without having to move anything out of the way. So at the moment you're probably at low risk of running into problems with the built-in partition manager.

OTOH, several third-party partition managers, including free ones (I'll second RG's recommendation of the MiniTool utility), have proven themselves superior. That's why so many people recommend avoiding Microsoft's partitioner, and in general it's also easier if you don't have to worry about remembering which of diskpart's limitations you might run into.

Dan

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

hession (2014-02-03),rmonroe36 (2014-02-03)

Thanks
    Here is some advice from Fred to consider:
    (it's paid content though)

http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-...o-longer-wise/